Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

After months of patiently waiting, now you 8700 and 7130 owners can finally breathe a ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Exclusive: SonaMobile BlackBerry video player - new BETA!!!

After months of patiently waiting, now you 8700 and 7130 owners can finally breathe a sigh of relief....SonaMobile is finally here!!!

Click here to visit our initial review of SonaMobile when we got our hands on it back in June.

Here is a copy of the notice sent from CanWest just moments ago:

"Thank you for helping us make history - you were among the first in the world to experience the CanWest MediaWorks VideoPlayer for BlackBerry devices during the beta trial. We appreciate your useful feedback and testing of this ground-breaking product during the trial. The beta is coming to a close as we prepare to unveil the new commercial product called bbTV."

With bbTV, you can be in the know, on the go with the latest headline news and information from Canada's leading national TV network, Global National. bbTV allows you to select daily updated news coverage with your choice of 30, 60 and 90 second TV clips of International, Canadian, Finance and Sports news. Other product enhancements of the new bbTV application, based on beta trial feedback and suggestions, include:

* News as it happens bbTV features more news, more often with breaking International, Canadian, Financial and Sports news and updates

* Faster download times, less data usage requirements and reduced memory storage due to better compression technology

* A new archive feature allowing you to access and download broadcast clips from the week before.

Before you can take advantage of having the latest TV clips delivered to your handset, please be sure to uninstall your beta version of CanWest MediaWorks Videoplayer for BlackBerry devices by following these steps:

-Click on the "Options" icon, choose "Advanced Options", "Applications", scroll down the application list until you find "CanWest VideoPlayer."
    -Click on “CanWest VideoPlayer”, and select "Delete" from the drop down list. You will be prompted to reboot your device.

To get SonaMobile Player, do the following:
    *Log onto www.bbtv.ca
    *If you are a Rogers Customer, click on Rogers. If you are NOT a Rogers customer, click on the Telus/Bell Link. (This means TMobile, Cingular, Verizon, etc)
    *Fill out the information requested.
    NOTE: If you are NOT in Canada, then just make up a Providence, City and Zip Code.
    *Click Submit
    *You will receive an email with an OTA link to download the player.

UPDATE!
    There have been instances of people not being able to get SonaMobile to work. They are getting the infamous tunnel errors.
    We have narrowed it down and it seems like the culprit is either not having your TCP/APN settings configured, or having them configured wrong. With any 3rd party application you need to configure your TCP/APN settings. To accomplish this, go Options>Advanced Options>TCP
    HERE is a list of carrier APN's. Enter the information, save your changes, and you should be good to go.

*If you are using Cingular, use the most updated APN.

Thank you for registering to download the bbTV application and for visiting PinStack who keeps you up todate on everything Blackberry!

To complete the download process, please click on the following link:

For further information or to find out more on the latest and greatest offerings from bbTV visit: www.bbtv.ca

It claims only avaliable for Rogers and Telus customers, however, just say you are from Canada and you will be ready to roll. I have already downloaded clips. Tomorrow morning we will have full reviews of the product and screenshots will be coming within the hour!

Read Related Post:

Pinstack First Look At SonaMobile Beta Player From CanWest

*Although CanWest MediaWorks does not charge you for the bbTV software or your use of this service, you will be charged for data usage by your mobile service provider when you use the service. See you carrier data plan contract for details.

Programing Schedule Updates Per BBTV:

FP Business Report: 9am EST Monday-Friday
    Around The World: 9am EST Monday-Friday
    Global National News Break: 2:30 & 4:30pm EST Monday-Friday and 2:30 EST Saturday and Sunday
    Global National News Break (2): 7pm EST 7 Days A week
    Sportsnet: 9am & 3pm EST Monday-Friday and 7pm Saturday and Sunday.

BBTV.CA FAQ Regarding SonaMobile Player:

1. What is bbTV™?
    It is a videoplayer designed to play multimedia files exclusively on the latest generation of BlackBerry® devices. It has the ability to receive and play high quality synchronized video and audio files.

2. What models of BlackBerry® will this work on?
    Initially, the bbTV™ for BlackBerry® will be commercially available for select RIM 8700 and 7130 devices. Going forward we will continue to add BlackBerry® devices as newer models become available and are able to support the service.

3. How do I subscribe to bbTV™?
    If you are a Rogers™ Wireless subscriber:
    Launch your BlacKBerry's WAP browser
    Select Business Applications
    Select bbTV™
    Follow the prompts to subscribe and download the application

If you are a Bell or Telus user go to: http://www.canada.com/videoplayer/bbtv/telusbell.html

4. What wireless networks is bbTV™made available on?
    Currently the application has been tested and certified to run on Roger's wireless network. While the bbTV™ is made available for download to supported BlackBerry® devices running on other carrier networks, CanWest MediaWorks Publications does not provide warranties or guarantees for bbTV - we assume no responsibility for any problems or damages incurred by the application.

5. When will bbTV™ be certified on other wireless carrier networks?
    At launch, bbTV™ will be certified to run on Rogers™ wireless network only. We expect in the coming months to officially test and certify the application on other carrier networks. Check back soon for further updates.

6. How much does bbTV™ cost?
    For Rogers™ subscribers, bbtv retails for just $5 a month and gets charged directly to your monthly Rogers™ bill. Usage of the application (downloading available video clips) is included in the monthly service fee and data usage will not impact your Rogers Data plan or result in overage charges.

For Bell and Telus users, consult your BlackBerry data plans.

7. Is there a separate charge for the bbTV software?
    No. There is no charge for downloading the bbTV™ software.

8. What TV shows can I get on my Blackberry®?
    At the time of launch, bbTV™ users who subscribe to the service will be able to watch exclusive news, finance, and sports highlight clips provided by Global TV and sports clips from Sportsnet. Discussions with other content providers are underway and we'll be adding new content channels over the coming months.

9. What types of video files can I watch using bbTV™?
    Currently, only files that have been converted to the special bbTV™ format will be available through application.
    Print

10. How are video files sent to my BlackBerry®?
    bbTV™ content is specially formatted and delivered over the carrier networks nationwide to your BlackBerry® device. Video files are requested by the user and downloaded (Download and Play). New content will be made available several times a day. The next stage of features will includes 'Push' based delivery of content, where new content will be automatically sent to the device (depending on user preference setting.) In this situation the user will not have to manually request new content.

11. How long does it take to download a video clip?
    A video clip that is 1 - 2 minutes in duration will take between 3-5 minutes to download to the device.

12. Does it work offline?
    bbTV™ Video files that have been downloaded to 'My Playlist' are available for viewing regardless of whether the device is 'connected'. However, the device will not be able to receive any new content while out of coverage areas.

13. Can I save clips on my BlackBerry®?
    A typical clip will require between 1 and 3 Mb of storage space on the BlackBerry®. File size will decrease as the temporal compression technology evolves.

14. How much memory will the clips need?
    Once downloaded, clips can be saved in the Playlist for future playback. Users will be able to store and manage (play, view details, delete) a limited number of clips. After a certain number have been saved, the user will be prompted to overwrite previously saved clips in My Playlist.

15. Can I perform all other BlackBerry® functions while the videoclip download process is happening in the background?
    Yes. You may experience periodic delays when opening or composing emails, however, the delays are very minor and all functions should operate as normal for the most part. If you receive a phone call during the download process, the procedure may time-out and force you to re-initiate the download process.

16. How do I use the player controls?
    bbTV™ uses the same basic controls as most other media players, so most features should be recognizable. Additionally, clicking the track wheel will provide a Help screen, where all hot buttons and controls are displayed.

17. Does the bbTV™ support streaming video?
    Currently the bbTV™ does not receive files in streaming format; however this is a key feature in our technology roadmap.

18. How many frames per second does it currently play?
    bbTV ™ is capable of multimedia playback at a rate of 10-12 FPS (Frames Per Second) on 8700 and 7130 GRPRS devices. The 7130e is a CDMA version allows for 6-8 FPS.

19. What countries does it work in?
    Although the bbTV™ can technically work on any cellular network, we cannot guarantee that network providers outside of Canada will allow the player to access the network. Also, the content is oriented towards the Canadian viewers.

20. Sometimes when I receive a phone call, the download appears to have stopped and the word 'Paused' appears above the progress bar in the 'My Playlist' screen. Why does this happen and how to I resume the download?
    When you receive a phone call, the player automatically stops downloading because the BlackBerry® and the network do not support simultaneous use of internet and voice capabilities. If the phone call is shorter then a couple of minutes, the player will automatically resume. If the call is longer however, it will pause and wait for the user to initiate a 'resume' action. To resume a paused download, select the clip using the track-wheel in 'My Playlist', then click the wheel to bring up the menu. Select 'Resume download' to continue the download process.

21. Sometimes when downloading a clip, the download appears to have stopped and the word 'Paused' appears above the progress bar in the 'My Playlist' screen. Why does this happen and how to I resume the download?
    This is similar to the question above (pausing when receiving a phone call) but it instead may be caused by wireless network issues. If your signal strength is too low (only 1 or 2 bars) or if your wireless radio on the device has shut off due to low power, this can lead to a disruption and automatic pausing of the download. Also, when roaming on networks outside of your cellular provider's coverage area, the connection can be slower (see below for full explanation). This can sometimes lead to the same auto-pause of the download.

To resolve these issues, address the cause of the network problem by moving back into an area of greater signal strength, recharging the battery, or moving to a different network. When the cause has been addressed, resume the download by selecting the clip using the track-wheel in 'My Playlist', then click the wheel to bring up the menu. Select 'Resume download' to continue the download process.

22. I have noticed that when I am outside of the area of my cellular network provider, downloading of clips can become very slow. Why?
    Cellular network providers have arrangements - 'roaming' agreements - with other providers that use a similar network type but are in a different geographic region. This allows you to 'roam' - to use your cell phone away from your region or country. However, the speed of your service's internet connection can often be greatly reduced in a roaming scenario. Because of this, CanWest can make no claim of guarantee with regard to download speed on differing networks.

23. Is it possible to cancel the service after I subscribe?
    Yes, it is possible to cancel the service if you are no longer interested in receiving the bbTV™ service. For Rogers™ subscribers:
    Go to the WAP Browser
    Select the Tool Box radio button
    Select the MySubscriptions link
    Under bbTV™ select the Cancel Subscription link
    For non-Rogers users, since there is no dedicated bbTV™ service plan with any other carrier, there is no formal cancellation process to follow. Simply uninstall the application.

24. How do I uninstall the application if I choose to?
    On your BlackBerry® device, click on the "Options" icon, choose "Advanced Options", "Applications", scroll down the application list until you find "CanWest VideoPlayer." Click on "CanWest VideoPlayer, and select "Delete" from the drop down list. You will be prompted to reboot your device.

25. If I have a question about my Rogers™ Bill who do I contact?
    Contact Rogers™ Customer Care @ 1-888-899-1188

26. If I am a Rogers™ subscriber and experiencing technical difficulties who do I contact?
    For end user technical support, please call Rogers™ toll-free number @ 1-866-931-data (3282).

For all other technical feedback, bug and error reports please send an email to: bbtvtechfeedback@canada.com

27. When I attempt to download clips, I get an error message that says "Your device phone number is empty. Please consult the FAQ.
    Resolution 1
    Enter the SIM phone number.
    1. Ensure the handheld is running the most recent software version.

2. On the handheld Home screen, click Options and select SIM Card.

3. Click the track-wheel and select Edit SIM Phone Number. If this option does not appear in the menu, see Resolution 2.

4. Enter your phone number in the SIM Phone Number field and click the track-wheel. IMPORTANT: you must enter the full number including the country code (that is ë1í in North America).

5. Restart the handheld. The phone number should appear in the Phone application on the handheld.

Resolution 2
    Contact your service provider to run a SIM update.
    1. Ensure the handheld is running the most recent software version.

2. Contact your service provider to run a SIM update.

3. Restart the handheld. The phone number should appear in the Phone application on the handheld. Note: The phone number might not immediately be pushed to a new handheld.

28. Why can I not listen to BB TV audio using my Blackberry headset?
    Blackberries only support telephone voice call audio via the headset. However, it is anticipated that this may change in a future upgrade or new models.

Official Press Release From CanWest Regarding SonaMobile's Launch:

Toronto, ONCanWest MediaWorks and Rogers Wireless today announced the launch of bbTV, the first media player to deliver content for BlackBerry® in Canada. bbTV will offer Rogers Wireless customers access to near TV quality synchronized audio and video files of leading CanWest MediaWorks content, including breaking and daily news from Global News, Global National, Global Morning and the Financial Post. In addition, bbTV will provide daily sports information and commentary from Rogers Sportsnet, Canada’s number one regional sports service.

Read the entire Press Release

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by N8DBB; 10-27-2006 at 11:05 AM.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: SonaMobile Now Avaliable!!! Exclusive!!!

Great news! Isnt this what all you stackers have been waiting for?

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Hah. Now we just have too see if the site has too many users like when we released the beta link.

mrnoname no está en línea Stacker

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I do think the speed of the download has improved. I just downloaded and watched two 1 minute clips. All in the time it took to download one clip before.

They also have more clips now to choose from. Just wished it wasn't all from Canada. No offense meant. Just wished they had some clips from the US as well.

I don't think I'll be deleteing Sona this time.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~As far as Video and sound quality, I see no real change.

Sweet little app Sona has here.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Video is ok. Think when 4.2 releases we will see better quality. The sound volume is excellent! Good thing I stayed awake to watch this movie tonight rather than getting notification in the morning.

dojomaster no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    25094ED2

Re: Exclusive: SonaMobile BlackBerry video player - new BETA!!!

sounds exciting....how much will it cost?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~As of now, there is no charge. And it works on your data. So its whatever your carrier charges for data. Im on an unlimited data plan so its free for me.

HuwSy no está en línea Stack level 3

im guessing it survives off advertising revinues then? anyone know if theres any plans to have any other video services available?
    Huw - www.huenik.com
    Bb 8220 4.6...

I will test my hosting companys claims of unlimited webspace and unlimited bandwidth. Ideas?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Well so far the newsclips start with an add. I've seen one for a Canadian beer and 2 for tylenol. So you are probally right. And I don't know about more genres being made available. I think N8 would be better able to answer that.

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5

Thanks N8, Downloading my first clip right now!

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I went to try and download the app and it indicated that it costs $5.00 per month billed to my mobile phone. Is this accurate?

You are using the first link to download ljbyar,that is the rogers link. They are being charged $5.00 a month for the use of the service. Go to the ota2 link and download there. You will be good to go.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Thanks John

No problem.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast