Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

CrackMem 2 is a free program to help you manage the pre-installation of your Blackberry ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

Pete6 no está en línea Stack level 1

CrackMem 2

Advertisement

CrackMem 2 is a free program to help you manage the pre-installation of your Blackberry OS.

It is designed to eliminate the need to manually remove files from the Java folder for those people who do not know how or do not wish to do this.

Full help is included and a Put It Back button is included.

It may be downloaded from here.

CrackMem has been tested on just about every current OS from 4.2.1.x up to 4.5.0.55 on both GSM and CDMA phones that run thses OSs and over 100 people have downloaded it so far..

CrackMem runs on Windows XP and Vista (both 32 and 64 bit)
    Last edited by Pete6; 07-27-2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: updated link

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Any brave souls try this yet? If you do, please report your results. It sounds like an application with "catch-all" possibilites as far as pre-install memory management goes.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Here's a screenshot of CrackMem.

So far about 120 people have downloaded it and the responses that I have recieved have been very positive.

Pete,
    Re:
    I am not sure what you mean by catch-all.
    , I meant just that.

As I can see from your screen shot, it doesn't "catch" everything one might want to delete to free up memory but it's a good start and looks easier than doing it manually. Thanks.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

ak602 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Does anyone know if this works?

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    i tried it.not sure what all i deleted. i checked vids,wallpaper,TTY, and themes.only thing i have noticed is that my folders are now blank and all the same.

meme405 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Its not that hard to do it manually...but i guess if you cant do it like this is the other best way...but it doesnt get everything you could remove...

armageddon513 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    i tried it.not sure what all i deleted. i checked vids,wallpaper,TTY, and themes.only thing i have noticed is that my folders are now blank and all the same.
    Did it free up more memory?

Time for an explanation, I think.

CrackMem grew out of some truly horrid prototype DOS batch files that I wrote to speed up the process of OS upgrading on BlackBerry phones.

The current version is aimed at people who do not know how or do not wish to remove files from the Jav folder.

It makes no attempt at maximum memory saving. It just removes the major hogs and some of the optional modules. Personally I use VAD so I never delete hat. Other AT&T users may wish to keep PTT.

CrackMem has been downloaded about 120 times from another BlackBerry site that I am not allowed to mention but the name of the program may help you find. I have about 2100 posts over there so I am not exactly a newbie.

V2.4 is the 10th revision of the program and, trust me, has bean literlly beaten to death over there.

I was asked to put it up over here.

This is from CrackMem's Help text.

What CrackMem Is NOT Designed To Do
    CrackMem is not designed to be a replacement for Desktop Manager. It is also not aimed at absolute maximum memory savings and does not attempt to remove the built in themes BBDimension, pre-loaded ringtones and pictures or fonts because these may all be needed at various times by the Operating System for its own purposes and for proper functioning of your phone.

Removing any of the modules and features listed above will increase available memory but these removals must be done manually.

BlackBerry Phones Supported
    CrackMem has only been tested on 8000 series phones to date. It may work on other models but you do so at your own risk.

Operating Systems Supported
    CrackMem has been tested on Microsoft Windows XP (Home and Professional), Microsoft Vista Home Premium and a version of Microsoft Vista 64 bit.

This is also from CrackMem's Help text.

WHAT DOES CRACKMEM DO AND HOW DOES IT DO IT?

CrackMem is dedicated to making the process of maximizing the memory of your BlackBerry phone as easy as possible. It works by copying selected files out of the Operating System installation folder on your PC to a new folder called RemovedFiles. This folder is created in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion.

CrackMem can support up to nine installed Operating Systems and each of these has its own named folder within the RemovedFiles folder. This maintains separation between the files of the various installed Oss and allows CrackMem to re-instated an OS to its original state if required.

Files removed and not deleted. They are moved. They can be put back (returned) to their original locations by the use of the Put It Back button. This means that you never lose any files and you may try multiple options many times until you get your phone working the way you want.

You can even exit the program and then re-run it, select the same Operating System as before and then click Put It Back and the files will be put back.

CrackMem makes no attempt at total maximization by techniques such as screen font removal nor does it remove the pre-installed pictures or ringtones since these do not take up much memory and these are sometimes used by the system for its own purposes and removal may cause your phone to become unreliable.

Here is a list of the files that CrackMem removes for each of the various Module Removal options.

Remove Vendor.xml
    Moves Vendor.xml to the RemovedFiles folder

Remove BlackBerry Sample Video
    Moves these files to RemovedFiles+Selected-OS-Folder
    net_rim_bb_media_320x240_b.cod
    net_rim_bb_media_240x260_b.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_320x240_b.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_240x260_b.cod

Remove Pre-Loaded Wallpaper
    net_rim_bb_media_320x240_b.cod
    del java\net_rim_bb_media_240x260_b.cod

Remove Voice Activated Dialling (VAD)
    net_rim_vad*.cod

Remove Carrier Themes
    net_rim_theme_1*.cod

Remove TTY (for hearing impaired users)
    net_rim_phone_tty_enabler.cod

Remove Yahoo
    net_rim_bb_qm_yahoo*.cod

Remove AIM
    net_rim_bb_qm_AIM*.cod

Remove MSN
    net_rim_bb_qm_MSN*.cod

Remove Push To Talk (PTT) AT&T only
    net_rim_bb_phone_ptt_app.cod
    KnJCDE.cod

Remove MyFaves T-Mobile only
    net_rim_bb_media_100_five_icon_library.cod
    net_rim_tmo_five.cod

Files ending with *.cod i.e. net_rim_vad*.cod means that CrackMem removes all files beginning with net_rim_vad* and ending with .cod. In this particular case, a total of 30 files are removed. Many of these are there only to support languages other than American English and would not even be installed on a US English phone but they are removed anyway along with those that would be installed because they match the net_rim_vad*.cod pattern.

No other files but those listed above are touched in any way and all may be re-instated by the Put It Back button after the OS to phone install process has completed successfully.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 07-27-2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: made it a little more readable - hope you don't mind.

Pete,

Thanks for the explanation - that should help relieve some of the hesitation.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 07-27-2008 at 03:01 PM.

You are welcome.

If you want to know exactly what you have removed from the Java folder, just go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RemovedFiles\OS-Selected-Folder for a list of files. Vendor.xml will be in the RemovedFiles folder because this is normally in Apploader and there is only ever one regardless of how many OSs you have installed.

Note that I NEVER delete anything. It is only moved. The Put It Back button just moves everything back into the Java folder and Vendorl.xml to Apploader.

The Wipe Device button is also worth an explanation because it quite rightly frightens some people.

I put it in because I wanted a complete phone support tool in CrackMem. New users sometimes get their phones into a terrible mess. The only ways have been to try to teach a neophyte and worried used how to run a Cmd window and then navigate to Apploader to run loader /nojvm in a post with other members jumping in or to download JL_Cmder so I put a Wipe Device button in.

As you can see you have to type BrickMyPhone correctly cased before it will do it.

There is no catch with CrackMem. It is what it is and no more. It is free and will always be free. CrackMem has been checked fr virueses and Spyware by BitDefender and CounterSpy.

It was written in my house in Delphi.

CrackMem can easily be beaten by a human who knows which .cod files to remove but it does do about a 95% job which, is quite good enough for most people.

More from the Help text

OS LOADING OPTIONS

Both options below will install a newer OS (than the one currently installed on your phone) to your phone if one is available. If there are two or more later OSs installed then the system will pick the latest OS regardless of what choices you have made. If, for example you wish OS 4.5.0.444 installed and you have selected it and configured the modules in CrackMem but also have OS 4.5.0.52 installed then both Desktop Manger and Wipe Device selections will attempt to install 4.5.0.52 rather than your selection of 4.5.044. The fix it to uninstall 4.5.0.52 prior to starting the whole process.

As soon ad either Device Manager or Loader is running you may close CrackMem by pressing Exit.

Wipe Device
    will require you to type the word

BrickMyPhone

with correct capitalization before proceeding. If you proceed CrackMem will issue the command

loader /nojvm

This is the same as using JL_Cmder to wipe your phone.

This will wipe (brick) your phone back to Java error 507 and all of your personal data, installed programs, themes, etc. will be permanently erased (lost). After this the selected Operating System will be loaded to the phone (provided it is compatible, of course). This option is often used when loading
    beta OSs.

Desktop Manager
    will prompt for confirmation before proceeding. It then launches the currently installed version of DM. Loading of the selected OS will begin but you may select options such as Backup prior to loading the OS and then a Restore afterwards. This is less drastic than the wipe device option.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 07-27-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: clean out [FONT]

I hope that CrackMem will help non-technical users gain more memory and experts to help new users out of trouble.

I spend most of my time over on the Crack (don't hold it against me) but will check back here every coupl eof days.

I am off on vacation next Thursday for 2 weeks. I'll have my 8310 and my 8100 with me as well as my laptop but Internet access from the PC will be spotty at best.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete6; 07-27-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Catstide,

Here's one that was created for the Pearl - I'll bet it'll work for yours but, a word of caution...BACK UP your BB before performing these type functions! See if that helps.

UPDATE: I realized that we're not off the subject but we ARE OFF the topic of this thread which is CrackMem 2, so let's get back on topic and I'll take the blame for aiding and abetting the crime.
    My advise for upgraging is to Sync first and then do a Backup. Only then should yu begin the OS upgrade. Why? Sometimes, if you have to downgrade the OS install Backup will not restore to a lower OS version.

The Sync is to make sure that all personal data (address Book, Calendar, etc.) has two 'backups' - I have been in IT for far too many decades to NOT be paranoid about my conatct list.

natesax7 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244d259a
    So I downloaded the program and tried the "wipe my device" button and ran into a problem.

Even though I selected to delete the vendor.xml file and performed the action, when I ran the "wipe my device" and app loader opened, it didn't recognize the newer O/S I have on the computer. Presumably the prog didn't erase the vendor.xml file.

So I went and did a search on my computer and manually found the vendor.xml file and removed it manually.

After all of that, my question about the program is;

Does this program run independant of the Desktop manager, or do both need to run at the same time? or how is the program designed to work so that I can remove the modules listed? (I really want to remove the TMO myfaves!!!)

It seems that just plugging in the USB and using CrackMem 2 doesn't do anything as of yet. Am I approaching this all wrong or do I need to do something else to get it to work?

Quote Originally Posted by natesax7 View Post
    So I downloaded the program and tried the "wipe my device" button and ran into a problem.

Even though I selected to delete the vendor.xml file and performed the action, when I ran the "wipe my device" and app loader opened, it didn't recognize the newer O/S I have on the computer. Presumably the prog didn't erase the vendor.xml file.

So I went and did a search on my computer and manually found the vendor.xml file and removed it manually.

After all of that, my question about the program is;

Does this program run independant of the Desktop manager, or do both need to run at the same time? or how is the program designed to work so that I can remove the modules listed? (I really want to remove the TMO myfaves!!!)

It seems that just plugging in the USB and using CrackMem 2 doesn't do anything as of yet. Am I approaching this all wrong or do I need to do something else to get it to work?
    CrackMem runs independently of DM. It can launch DM but that is all. You really should read the Help text. There is a section on Upgrading your phone with CrackMem.

When you ran CrackMem you should have been presented with a screen like to one above. You then select an OS and Confirm that choice. These two steps must be completed prior to movong on. Now you move to the Module removal panel. Select the modules you wish to remove and then press Excecute Selections.

Now and only now will CrackMem actually DO anything. I set it up this way so that folk would not start removing files across various OSs on their systems by accident.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast