Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

To my surprise even when I add 'a' to the custom dictionary it still gets ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

tecbloke no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Care for a free Lexspell spelling checker registration? Join me for some QA!

Advertisement

To my surprise even when I add 'a' to the custom dictionary it still gets picked up in the subsequent spell checks. The reason being wheb I check the Cust Dict it does not have an entry. I tried 3 times to add it.

As to auto scan and send it is not a must but a want. I think for $10 you have enough.

Let me know what I can do to explore the 'a' problem. BTW it only happens with lower case 'a' not Upper.

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro

Re: Care for a free Lexspell spelling checker registration? Join me for some QA!

Quote Originally Posted by tecbloke
    To my surprise even when I add 'a' to the custom dictionary it still gets picked up in the subsequent spell checks. The reason being wheb I check the Cust Dict it does not have an entry. I tried 3 times to add it.

As to auto scan and send it is not a must but a want. I think for $10 you have enough.

Let me know what I can do to explore the 'a' problem. BTW it only happens with lower case 'a' not Upper.
    Exact same problem here. I tried adding it to the dictionary, but it doesn't take it.

I was really surprised when I added 'a' to the custom dictionary it did not solve the problem. When went and checked it never added it to the custom dictionary. I tried 3 times but it would not add. Is there a block on adding single letter words to the custom dictionary? The only good thing is that it ignores the 'A' at the beginning of a sentence. I presume because it is uppercase and the start of a word. Sorry it is not better news.

BTW any additional enhancements should version 2. You have a perfectly good software to release. My input is really only extras I would like not requirements.

Matty

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kolev no está en línea Developer

Well the "a" is a major problem that needs to be addressed...so stay tuned.

I understand you guys want activation codes ASAP, but it's in everyone's interest that we release a decently working spell checker.

Sorry for double post. I forgot to refresh and thought my first had not been submitted. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Agreed you want to fix it. If there is anything we can do to help please let us know. This is a great product that needs to get out there.

Matty

LexSpell spelling checker 1.3 now available for download

Just uploaded LexSpell 1.3 on http://mobile.beiks.com

Some really important news for everyone currently using LexSpell!

Even the best make mistakes and unfortunately yours truly has not fallen out of that trap and obligation, making himself a fool in a public manner: the word list database announced as version 1.2 in the earlier post, containing all the bells and whistles etc. was nothing more than the very same old word list from the original 1.1 release! A technical error picked up the wrong file during the build and yours truly did not even notice that when uploading the files...my very sincere apologies!

This confused not only you, but even yours truly himself, who searched for hours and hours today how was it that some of you were getting "a" repored as misspelled word...shame on me!

Now, after making sure 1.3 includes the proper database, I also noticed it is notably larger than the older one.

That may cause troubles if it is true that LexSpell is pushing the boundaries of the BlackBerry memory management. I would not expect Aaron to be able to run this version at all and I will be very curious if the rest will be able to use it.

It does take about 100kB more when run.

The only other enhancement is the implementation of the registration system. We should now be able to give activation codes and start testing this part as well!

One more word on the memory requirements: LexSpell 1.4 will probably contain a new option, which would allow to choose between the current (faster/memory aggresive) and a "memory friendly" (slower) mode, where the memory requirements will be dropping by a factor of 15-20 while speed will be barely dropping by 1 to 10 percent.

Let me know how that new version works for you!
    Last edited by kolev; 01-17-2007 at 03:06 AM.

Seems to be working great for me so far. Install was once again flawless. The dictionary was 660KB. It seems to take the same amount of time to launch LexSpell from inside of email, and I noticed just slightly more lag (maybe 2-3 seconds for each misspelled word). It could be faster, but at this point, I'm just more interested in having all working.

So far so good!

Me too! Easy install, easy run and no problems.

Again the lag is 2ish seconds, look forward to seeing the 1.4 and how you guys handle the speed/memory issue.

Let us know when the registration testing needs to be done,

Matty

LexSpell spelling checker 1.4 now available for download

Only the program module was updated; those who had downloaded LexSpell 1.3 before should not need to re-download the lexical databases, only LexSpell itself.

- Added option "Use minimum memory". It is OFF by default (this is how LexSpell had been in previous releases), when a proofing section begins, the program loads the word list into the [heap] memory, thus taking a lot of it. This was expected to be a problem under certain conditions, especially when other memory hungry applications are already running in the background (e.g. Google Maps).

When "minimum memory" is turned on, LexSpell activates another method of addressing its word list database, which requires much much less memory. Unfortunately (but logically) this happens at the cost of lower speed.

Overall, if you do not have problems working with LexSpell, leave this unchecked (the default option).

- Friendlier and better user message when LexSpell is ran without an installed word list database (people keep calling those "dictionaries" which is incorrect)

- British English wordlist database availability at http://mobile.beiks.com and according support in LexSpell
    Until this version, LexSpell was locked to the American English word list database.
    While not yet allowing for dynamic selection of the proofing database, LexSpell now allows for using either the British or the American database; the condition is that the database to be used is the only one installed in the device. If BOTH of them are installed, LexSpell will pick the first one passed to it by the Java OS.
    Custom selection is left for future versions.

I really really hope we won't be adding any more features before the official release!
    Last edited by kolev; 01-18-2007 at 01:23 AM.

One question. Why was I unable to add single letter words to the Custom Database? Shouldn't I be able to add 'anything' I want to it?

Just curious.

I thought I should have mentioned that in the post...

The limitation is hard coded in the source code and in the sake of making as little changes as possible - we're still aiming at release - I decided to leave that in the todo list for after the initial release.

Why is it limited? I don't know, but being a long time developer I know I could have done it just as an extra precaution. It doesn't seem there are many 1-letter words in any given language and if there are, they should be so common that their place is actually in the stock word list.

Correct or not, that's quite possible developer thinking, I can assure you...

That sounds ok. I wasn't sure if the reason was known at all. It certainly wouldn't be a show stopper for me. I could see a reason to fix it in a later release but certainly not to stop the present one. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

DrWoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D11279

Quote Originally Posted by kolev
    Not sure if that was a display of irony or a healthy portion of self addressed homour :-)

We are in a stage of public beta and there have been reports of similar errors under other circumstances. I need to know what was your case, please.

If I had to make a pick it would seem to me you had indeed missed the obvious and while certainly an omission on your end it also indicates we could have done better job presenting the neccessary downloads.
    The explanation on the website was fine... I just didn't read it.... typical male thing there.... Anyway... Everything works perfectly fine, thanks for the help though

Dr. Woo

I'm using the default install, so it's loading the whole dictionary into memory. I don't know if it's just me or not, but it actually seems to be running a bit faster.