Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Just found an odd one today. The spell checker stopped on every 'a' that was ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

tecbloke no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Care for a free Lexspell spelling checker registration? Join me for some QA!

Advertisement

Just found an odd one today. The spell checker stopped on every 'a' that was used on its own (e.g. 'a' as in 'a' cat). Has anyone else had this?

kolev no está en línea Developer

Re: Care for a free Lexspell spelling checker registration? Join me for some QA!

Are you running version 1.1 or 1.2 of LexSpell?

Both the program and the database must be 1.2 and you shouldn't be seeing this.

'a' is not in Literati's official word list (neither in scrabble's for that matter :-))

floridadomer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317ce3cd

Quote Originally Posted by kolev
    Exactly the same.

To help me troubleshoot the problem:

1) Run LexSpell normally and invoke the About screen. Which version is it showing?

2) Close the help screen and try to spell check some incorrect text within LexSpell itself.
    Does it behave as expected?
    It is Version 1.1
    When I go to lexspell program directly, it had an e-mail in it that I had sent a while back. I went through the spell check part then it asked me to register. I then closed out the program and went back in. It now has an e-mail I had just sent a few minutes ago. Do I have to go into the program itself to do a spell check or can it be run in the e-mail function itself?

Quote Originally Posted by floridadomer
    It is Version 1.1

Do I have to go into the program itself to do a spell check or can it be run in the e-mail function itself?
    I think the best approach here is to tell you to first delete version 1.1 from the device and then download the latest version 1.2 from http://mobile.beiks.com.

BOTH the program and the word list file!

And yes, you certainly have the ability to spell check without leaving the email composer. Look at the animated image at http://blackberry.beiks.com/spellchecker.asp.

floridadomer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317ce3cd

That did it. It know shows up in my e-mail program. I am though getting the "a" issue.

DrWoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D11279

ok,

more specific....

I open Lexspell, I type in the text that I want it to check and click on check..

next I get a window popup and say the following " No dictionary found! Java.lang.class Not found exception

Then I click ok, and says the following "Selected Dictionary is empty!"

was that specific enough? heh

Dr. Woo

Quote Originally Posted by DrWoo
    ok,

more specific....

I open Lexspell, I type in the text that I want it to check and click on check..

next I get a window popup and say the following " No dictionary found! Java.lang.class Not found exception

Then I click ok, and says the following "Selected Dictionary is empty!"

was that specific enough? heh

Dr. Woo
    Did you download the word list database at all?

Do NOT confuse that with any of the BEIKS language dictionaries! The LexSpell wordlist (incorrectly called "dictionary", and we need to resolve that) is the second half of a successful spell checker installation and is downloaded from the same page where LexSpell itself was downloaded.

DrWoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D11279

ok... So I'm a moron today.....

Man I need a day off...... lol

Dr. Woo

Quote Originally Posted by DrWoo
    ok... So I'm a moron today.....

Man I need a day off...... lol

Dr. Woo
    Not sure if that was a display of irony or a healthy portion of self addressed homour :-)

We are in a stage of public beta and there have been reports of similar errors under other circumstances. I need to know what was your case, please.

If I had to make a pick it would seem to me you had indeed missed the obvious and while certainly an omission on your end it also indicates we could have done better job presenting the neccessary downloads.
    Last edited by kolev; 01-15-2007 at 10:01 PM.

tecbloke no está en línea Stack level 2

The versions I am using are both 1.2 and I am getting the 'a' problem. I downloaded the lastest versions from your website.

I understand we can run this from the email app but I would like it to run automatically on send. Is this possible?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

We are looking into the "a" problem. Does anyone else experience it?
    It should be quite common if people use LexSpell...

What would happen if you add "a" to the custom word list? (you can always remove it later on)

BlackBerries are built so that a program can't actually plug-in before sending an email, so literally spell-checking before sending the email is highly unlikely to the best of my knowledge.

On the other hand, there is nothing that would prevent LexSpell to force sending the email after the proofing session is complete. I think we can do that...it was left for the next release, though, do not forget we are trying to go public here with the first official release at all :-)
    The drawback of forcing send after a proofing session is that you would have to use the LexSpell added menu to do it versus the built-in "Send" menu, which means you have to do some rolling every time you want to send an email...not quite convenient :-/

This is yet another reason we are not rushing with it. In the meantime, we are talking with RIM to see if there is any other way to approach the problem.

alevine no está en línea Stack level 1

Received an error message "java.lang:exception.Error" after install of eSpell. Terrible online service and poorly informed telephone staff. No resolve and left after lots of calls and emails .. many ignored ....

Recommended to Lexspell. Well priced product and good tech support. .. unfortunately after Lexspell install I received the same error. This time the tech staff are listening and working on the problem. Anyone out there who may have a solution? I'm all ears alonmg with several hundred others basaed on a recent Google search of the error message). Thanks

Aaron

downloaded LexSpell, I have not used any other spell checker. I honestly think that it is great. The price is wonderful, but I most like that i can still check spelling even if I do not have coverage at the time.

As for the case sensitive issue, I added each month and day of the week in AutoText so that anytime one of them is entered, it will capitalize it for me.

What will be new in the next release?[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by alevine
    Recommended to Lexspell. Well priced product and good tech support. .. unfortunately after Lexspell install I received the same error. This time the tech staff are listening and working on the problem. Anyone out there who may have a solution? I'm all ears alonmg with several hundred others basaed on a recent Google search of the error message). Thanks
    So where are things after our last phone call?
    Did you try removing the English dictionary? What about Google maps?

I am almost 100% sure this has to do with overloading the BlackBerry OS memory resources and, for the layment, those are NOT the same as "available memory". I won't give a lecture on the OS memory management internals unless you want me to and, sadly, in BB's case I would still have to make quite a few guesses, well educated as they might be...

So to spare you all that, if you get an exception in LexSpell, by far there are two isolated cases:
    a) if you have not installed the LexSpell word list file (and we are going to improve that and avoid the crash, but produce a polite message)
    b) an unidentified yet reason, presumably lack of sufficient file handles or other system resource; presumption goes on to guess that possible reason is installing too many and/or too resource consuiming applications on the device;
    first and by far only proposed resolution is to start uninstalling applications in order to remove or at least isolate the problem.

phone_caller no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23FED8B7

I still think that the subject needs to be included in the check. Also, the days of the week and the months of the year should be included as a part of the check.

Admittedly, for $10 I could add them one time. Although those updates should remain when the software version is updated.

Finally, I think that all programs that allow text input should be eligible for checking. These would include the calendar, Blackberry Messenger, and notepad.

Quote Originally Posted by phone_caller
    I still think that the subject needs to be included in the check.
    Agreed. But you should agree we'll never get official release if we don't stop adding features and since this is somewhat small concern we are leaving it for after the release.

Also, the days of the week and the months of the year should be included as a part of the check.
    They are, if you are running LexSpell 1.2 with word list file 1.2.

Although those updates should remain when the software version is updated.
    They actually should be...but it would depend on a few things.
    We are looking into this.

Finally, I think that all programs that allow text input should be eligible for checking. These would include the calendar, Blackberry Messenger, and notepad.
    I agree...but with BlackBerry that's different than Palm or Windows Mobile. We can only do it where they let us do it. I do not readily know where they let us do it, but I add this to the checklist.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast