Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Hello folks, BEIKS is on the verge of releasing its long awaited LexSpell spelling checker ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

kolev no está en línea Developer

Care for a free Lexspell spelling checker registration? Join me for some QA!

Advertisement

Hello folks, BEIKS is on the verge of releasing its long awaited LexSpell spelling checker for BlackBerry.

While unquestionable and recognized innovators on the BlackBerry scene, we honestly admit the spell checker arrives somewhat late.

However we have some good and then some more good news related to that

I dare say this may be the best optimized and therefore the fastest/most precise spelling checker to enter the BlackBerry market. In all honesty, we didn't have the time to go and compare it against *every* other spell checker out there, but we compared it with a few and, more importantly, we've been comparing its performance with platforms running native applications, like Palm OS and Windows Mobile, and we are glad to report we've finally achieved the same local speed for almost the same amount of processing time! This is BlackBerry Java on steroids and I am not kidding you.

Second, and probably more important, for a limited time (and possibly forever, but we reserve the right to change that), we will release a fully functional, unlimited version of the application for use by the individual users. To bring it home, this spells FREE SPELL CHECKER FOR BLACKBERRY!

That's right, it's going to be free, at least for a while!

Where's the catch then?

Well, we decided to go innovative here and leave it up to users to decide if the product is good enough and if they want to pay for using it. There'll be nothing to force them, although there'll be a reminder.

Now, to my offer and (better said) request: if you are interested in giving the beta a run, please contact me offline at lexspellbb-at-beiks.com and I will be providing you with evaluation downloads.

Everything you find can and should be said here or in offline correspondence.

We'll be awarding the most valuable feedback providers with free registrations!

- Bobby

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: Care for a free Lexspell spelling checker registration? Join me for some QA!

email came back returned:

Unknown address error-550-Bad destination mailbox address

Re: Care for a free Lexspell spelling checker registration? Join me for some QA!

Sorry, fixed already

Mobylo no está en línea Stack level 2

Hi Kolev, the '3rd party software' forum would be a better place to announce this as a lot more ppl visit it.

Do you know if I can move it there?

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

I will move it there.

Also, email sent.

will post files once enough people write, but no more than 24 hours from now.

thanks!

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Sounds good, cant wait to see how this pars up to other spell checkers.

Moridar no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    302686bc

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Email sent. Thanks!

Point your BlackBerry browser to httр://mobile.beiks.com (you will have to type that in your BlackBerry's browser!).

Once there, get in the BlackBerry section, then follow the link for the LexSpell spelling checker.

Download the program, then the American English dictionary wordlist.

Let me know how it goes!

phidauex no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks for the offer, kolev. Here is my Mini Review:

LexSpell 1.1 from http://mobile.beiks.com
    BB Pearl/8100 OS 4.2.0.69
    Program Size: 36kb
    Dictionary Size: 503kb

LexSpell adds a new menu item to the Compose Email screen. It uses a local dictionary (not a data connection) to check words. It has a custom dictionary with the ability to add new words.

LexSpell works very quickly. There is a moment of lag when you first click the LexSpell... menu option, which is to be expected, but it rapidly checks the page, and presents an easy to use spelling adjuster. It did a good job of guessing all my common misspellings, and I was able to easily add my last name to the custom dictionary.

I did get one error. On one attempt to add a word to the custom dictionary, I clicked the "add" button during a spell check, and the program quit with an Uncaught Exception: Field cannot be added to manager that is already parented. Or something to that effect... I haven't been able to reproduce it, but it was a serious error, because it quit the program, and actually lost the entire email.

Anyway, the program works quite nicely, and the 10$ suggested reg price seems very reasonable. I really appreciate the speed of the program (which you are justifiably proud of, I know how hard it is to optimize java code, especially when dealing with such large data structures), and the fact that it doesn't open data connections or require a subscription is what really attracts me.

Suggested enhancements:
    Research the uncaught exception? I'll try to find a way to replicate it...
    Add the ability to give a LexSpell... menu item to other native programs, like Tasks and MemoPad.

Peace,
    Sam

Thank you for that review. We'll dig and fix the exception when adding a word.

I sort of hoped people will also pay attention to the fact that the program is/will be fully functional. The $10 are totally up to you, which is somewhat rare in the BlackBerry world.

If the program works well, it'll be interesting (and possibly, though not quite hopefully) to see how much it'll generate.

This is strictly individual license; enterprises will have to pay, but it's sort of still up to them to be honest.

casamurphy no está en línea Stack level 2

I downloaded it and I have the impression that if you want to check spelling within any application you need to open Lexspell first and then copy and paste into the other application.

In the configuration options you can check to have it work within email -- but I guess the configuration options are locked until one registers?

Also, this may have nothing to do with the Lexspell program, but after using it the BB email program menu option which allowed the insert of an address from my address book into the the TO field of an email -- DISAPPEARED. If this happens when BB users hit some "wrong" button somewhere -- please some body help me.

phidauex no está en línea Stack level 2

Nothing is locked, the program is fully functional. To get the LexSpell menu item in the email, I had to set the configuration option, then do a cold boot (remove battery). After that it appeared.

I don't think I lost any menu items after installing it... To add addresses to the TO field, just start typing the name, and it will open up the address book to autocomplete.

peace,
    sam

Hmm, there shouldn't be a need of a reset...barely running LexSpell once it is installed (to activate the email menu hook) should be completely sufficient.

Once run, it actually should also be taking care of re-installing itself after a reset.

I didn't provide much details around installation purposefully.

But I'd be curious to hear from people currently running other spell checkers. Whould you change them with this? Why yes? Why not?

- bobby

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast