I own my own domain, which is hosted at register. com. My family has a ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

bbfogie no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Can Google Apps email be accessed on an enterprise blackberry

Advertisement

I own my own domain, which is hosted at register. com. My family has a bunch of email addresses using the register. com email service.

I'm thinking about switching to the Standard Edition of Google Apps, so that I don't have to shell out $30/year for each family member to have an email account that says familymember@ familyname. com (I'm assuming that Google doesn't charge for maintaining these email acocunts, but perhaps there are ads just like in gmail).

My question is this: if I switch over, will I be able to push my personal email account to my BlackBerry, which runs on the BES through my company? I ask because the Google help page mentions that Google Apps email will work with BIS, but it makes no mention of BES.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Re: Can Google Apps email be accessed on an enterprise blackberry

That all depends on the policy in place on your blackberry from your company. If they allow personal email accounts on your unit then you should have no issues.

Zo

Thanks

As a follow up, I was doing some more reading, and from what I've seen so far, it looks like Google Apps requires an application to be downloaded to the BlackBerry device in order for it to receive Google Apps email. Is this true, or can the email be read directly through the BIS client already existing on the device?

bonebox no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by bbfogie View Post
    Thanks

As a follow up, I was doing some more reading, and from what I've seen so far, it looks like Google Apps requires an application to be downloaded to the BlackBerry device in order for it to receive Google Apps email. Is this true, or can the email be read directly through the BIS client already existing on the device?
    Yes you can set it up through your BIS. I set it up on mine for a while and it worked fine, but disabled it in favor of the Gmail app.

Quote Originally Posted by bonebox View Post
    Yes you can set it up through your BIS. I set it up on mine for a while and it worked fine, but disabled it in favor of the Gmail app.
    What do you like better about the Gmail app that made you switch and stick with it?

bonebox no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by bbfogie View Post
    What do you like better about the Gmail app that made you switch and stick with it?
    I like having the native Gmail interface to be able to star messages, filter by labels, etc, same as via the web. I get a ton of Gmail email so the constant notification of new emails via push was annoying after a while. Some people use them both in conjunction though.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Since you are hosting the BES, you can do whatever you want with your IT policy. You can run BES and BIS side by side. Then you can choose to have the gmail pushed to the phone, or use the Gmail app with it, depending on your preference. I do both. I like the push notifying me when messages arrive, and I can act on them if necessary. I can use the app if I am traveling and want to go ahead and file the message, etc.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.