I thought maybe I saw somewhere here in the Stacks or maybe somewhere else, of ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a

Caller Id App

Advertisement

I thought maybe I saw somewhere here in the Stacks or maybe somewhere else, of a Picture ID that covers the whole screen when people call. Anyone hear of this or see it anywhere?
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

RedNightHawk no está en línea Stack level 3
    There's PictureID by Toysoft, and I think there was another one, but I can't recall right now.

Incidentally, they also have Picture Dial, which lets you dial from thumbnail gallery of pictures (or SMS or e-mail).

http://www.toysoft.ca/blackberry.html

PIN/ID
    n/a
    I checked it out, looked okay. I like that there's a free trial to make sure it works. I'll have to try it out. I want to know if anyone is using any type of app like this and if it's a strictly voice app? I'm currently not running data anymore and want to make sure the app will work without it

I don't use this myself and I can't remember if this is the one that also pulls Facebook pics (for which you'd need a data plan), but you should still be able to override and just have it go with local content - pics related to your address book.

Incidentally, if you no longer have a data plan and aren't doing any pay-per-use (by the kb) browsing or anything, go into Options> Mobile Network> and turn Data Services Off. It'll save your battery life considerably otherwise the BB will constantly be trying to connect to data services.

The other app I was thinking of is Photo Caller ID deluxe by Javatek Media

http://blackberryshop.pinstack.com/p...ller-ID-Deluxe

Neither of those use any OTA data (the facebook thing I was thinking of was a different dial by photo app), just content on your device or SD card.

PIN/ID
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by RedNightHawk View Post
    The other app I was thinking of is Photo Caller ID deluxe by Javatek Media

http://blackberryshop.pinstack.com/p...ller-ID-Deluxe

Neither of those use any OTA data (the facebook thing I was thinking of was a different dial by photo app), just content on your device or SD card.
    I just read the description to this and this one sounds pretty cool. Different ringtones and pictures for each phone number entry to one contact. I like that idea. I think I"ll try this one out.

And I'm not going to turn data services off, because I have an employee plan with AT&T which gives me 5MB of MEdia Net to use. So I browse occasionally. But because it's not a blackberry plan, blackberry third party apps that use data won't work. Like no more Weather Eye ( ), No more Pinstack App...

Now I'm just getting depressed! Maybe I'll just break up the wedding and get my data back!

No...

That would just be stoopid.

Smiley88 no está en línea Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    I just read the description to this and this one sounds pretty cool. Different ringtones and pictures for each phone number entry to one contact. I like that idea. I think I"ll try this one out.

And I'm not going to turn data services off, because I have an employee plan with AT&T which gives me 5MB of MEdia Net to use. So I browse occasionally. But because it's not a blackberry plan, blackberry third party apps that use data won't work. Like no more Weather Eye ( ), No more Pinstack App...

Now I'm just getting depressed! Maybe I'll just break up the wedding and get my data back!

No...

That would just be stoopid.

you can also set custom ringtone with pictureID too.
    Visit our website www.toysoft.ca

SPinTiff no está en línea Stack level 2
    Is there a fee for Javatek Media?
    Happily syncing to BES with TheMessageCenter

bbguy2 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    I thought maybe I saw somewhere here in the Stacks or maybe somewhere else, of a Picture ID that covers the whole screen when people call. Anyone hear of this or see it anywhere?
    It looks cool, but I heard that caller ID is some sort of a patent that you can't freely use in the US unless you pay the owner.

You can use caller ID in your apps in other countries and thanks OK, but if you do it in the US you get sued big time.

Can anyone else confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by SPinTiff View Post
    Is there a fee for Javatek Media?
    Yup, programmers gotta eat too.

It looks cool, but I heard that caller ID is some sort of a patent that you can't freely use in the US unless you pay the owner.

You can use caller ID in your apps in other countries and thanks OK, but if you do it in the US you get sued big time.

Can anyone else confirm?
    I know the Berry-A-Code guy pulled his app for some reason, but if it's cause of Caller Id that would be weird - not just cause pretty much every cellphone now has the feature to link caller id to your address book, but also cause there's plenty of other apps that use caller Id for different purposes (and they are still being sold in the US) from CRM to call blocking/allowing, etc. It may just be a case of everyone else is ignoring the patent and the Berry-A-Code guy didn't want to risk being sued since his was a free app.

Further, a company could argue it's just use base functionality of a phone since the access to caller id functions come from RIM's OS, and Rim would presumably have paid the licence for those functions.

PIN/ID
    n/a
    I'm confused, I've never really bought an app before. I've always used free stuff, and I've been trying this app out and think it's worth the 5 bucks.

But what are you guys saying? I can't use this app in the US? All of this talk you're talking about has confused me and I've reverted back to my Blackberry Newbie way of thinking...

You can use it.

There's a few different companies claiming different patents to different Caller ID things and they might sue the company that made the program if royalties/fees aren't being paid. Law suits work a little different in the US so alot of companies settle to try and avoid the court costs of an extended trial even if the suit is baseless or close to it. But you'd still have and be able to use your app (they wouldn't sue the end user, they'd go after the company).

You may miss out on updates then though.

PIN/ID
    n/a
    Ah

If the functionality is important to you I wouldn't let the patent stuff factor into your decision at all.