i wanna buy couple of softwares like jiivetalk moneymanager etc so the question is tht ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

hakimmmmm no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Question Buying software

Advertisement

i wanna buy couple of softwares like jiivetalk moneymanager etc
    so the question is tht am i going to be able to use it in other bbs or just 1 bb ?
    and lets say i upgrade my OS the softwares r going to work or just have to buy new license?
    n lets say i reinstall the same OS n i installed the softwarez az well so the same license key is going to work ?
    thanx in advance

Dan Camacho no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24171C1C

Thumbs up

Firstly, the licence are usually attached or linked to your BB PIN, no matter what OS you have the program should be fine. As far as changing it to another device, I have had very good luck with most software, just send them an e-mail that you are no longer using the other device and the new PIN. I even was able to do this with some Palm OS software I bought, and they sent me the activation codes. So, just ask them and see what they say...
    TelCel - 8300 Curve

dilipc no está en línea Stack level 3
    As long as your IMIE/PIN doesn't change, the same license can be used on your Blackberry. However, some softwares like Empower HTML Mail Pro or eOffice license can be transferred to a new BB since they use the network to identify the device. I would recommend you use the trial version to see if it meets your need, and ask the developer if the license key can be transferred to another BB.

hakimmmmm no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    hmmm thnx guyz for quick replay
    anywyz got a buy some softwarez cheerrzz

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Yeah, technically software developers don't HAVE to give you a new key, but if you shoot them off an e-mail explaining your situation, most software developers will (give you a new key)...

This is particularly true when going from one BlackBerry to another or when updating the operating system, because most BlackBerry software can be "controlled" by means of the PIN - if you try to use licenced software on a device for which it was not purchased/authorized to be used on, it will rarely work.

Some companies, such as BeeJive, offer "multiple device" licences, which guarantees that you can transfer your licence to any compatible, new device that you buy in the future...

I had to do this recently with my copy of JiveTalk, and within 24 hours they had remotely unlocked JiveTalk on my new device using my new PIN!

Themes can rarely be transferred between devices, in part because they cannot be "PIN controlled" like software - if you're upgrading your operating system and the PIN is still the SAME, many authors will make the theme available for download again though...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Camacho View Post
    I even was able to do this with some Palm OS software I bought, and they sent me the activation codes.
    In my experience (and trust me, I have been using mobile devices for a L-O-N-G time!), the only time a software developer will do this is when an operating system is no longer officially supported for one reason or another...

Given that you're using Palm OS and the operating system is "unofficially" dead, this is probably why they gave you a new key.

Having bought at least 150 applications for Palm OS, Microsoft Windows CE, BlackBerry OS, Symbian OS and Microsoft Windows Mobile over the years (combined), I have usually found that software developers prefer to give you a discount on purchasing an additional licence, though often this can be a pretty big discount...

~via my BlackBerry 8800 (wap.pinstack.com)~

Rhokk222 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204FF9DF
    Quote Originally Posted by CybaCowboy View Post
    Themes can rarely be transferred between devices, in part because they cannot be "PIN controlled" like software - if you're upgrading your operating system and the PIN is still the SAME, many authors will make the theme available for download again though...
    From my experiences, ALL themes can be transferred between devices. I recently bought my wife a pink blackberry and transfered all my bought themes to her phone. All I used was a program called javaloader to save the theme to my PC and then load it up on the other phone. Great utility as it enables me to back up ALL my bought software and themes!