Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I'm believing you guy's, cause my memory fluctuates. I buying the GC theory. Not much ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Re: Boost Up your BlackBerry with MemoryUp Mobile RAM Booster

Advertisement

I'm believing you guy's, cause my memory fluctuates. I buying the GC theory. Not much more.
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionCSR
    Let's not all forget here we are not talking about disk space, but rather RAM.

Pretend like its a computer what this is freeing up is RAM not Hard drive space.
    That's fine... But this program and company still appear to be fakes. When we talk about garbage collection (GC), this generally IS a function of cleaning up allocated blocks of RAM (not "hard drive space") that running programs no longer refer to. In a java runtime, GC is taken care of automatically: as objects with allocated memory go "out of scope" (methods / routines that create them terminate) these objects are subject to garbage collection (e.g., the memory will be reclaimed). GC tends to be a "lazy" process, in that it is usually a low priority task, taking place when other tasks are idle - unless the amount of working memory hits a certain critical low point, at which point GC would be invoked as a last ditch effort to keep the OS running. You can generally make a call to the runtime system's GC method at any time, manually (i.e., in a program call), but this is usually not recommended, as it rarely is timed as well as the built-in behavior in terms of the impact on all other running programs.

Everything about this company and product is suspicious, from remarkable and undemonstrated claims, to the CEO who appears to be totally bogus (a name which appears to be a misspelling, attached to a clipart "executive photo" that happens to have the name of a different person as its filename), to the "testimonial" of a supposed US customer, written in the kind of semi-English that appears in the company's own literature.

None of this hangs together at all...

tomorrowneverkn no está en línea Stack level 3

vinmontRD you should be a detective!! Incredible research skills... I'll look you up if my wife starts acting suspicious

Quote Originally Posted by tomorrowneverkn
    vinmontRD you should be a detective!! Incredible research skills... I'll look you up if my wife starts acting suspicious
    Thanks (I think). Stuff like this makes me nuts - and I like to debunk them when I can...

Let me know about your wife... always looking for some side income...

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by vinmontRD
    ...Let me know about your wife... always looking for some side income...
    LOL that just didn't sound right hahaha
    interesting read in this thread though
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

tomorrowneverkn no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by vinmontRD
    Thanks (I think). Stuff like this makes me nuts - and I like to debunk them when I can...

Let me know about your wife... always looking for some side income...
    Will do

NightFire no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Wheel

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    It doesn't work on my BB. But then again, mine is a 7290 v4.0. It installs beautifully, but then I get a java error: uncaught exception: Proess memoryup (299) killed due to message queue overflow.
    <p>
    Perhaps I'm better off without the app anyway.
    <p>
    I downloaded it for free, OTA from wap.getjar.com.

James80 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31955D4A

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~The status screen shows the amount of "disk space" available out of the 64MB or whatever of flash memory. This program is refering to the RAM which isn't the same as the flash memory. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone, I'm not that technically advanced.

ninature no está en línea Stack level 2

Does anyone know if this enhancement will improve the speed of the nes emulator? That would be the only resaon I'd be interested. Thanks!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by ninature View Post
    Does anyone know if this enhancement will improve the speed of the nes emulator? That would be the only resaon I'd be interested. Thanks!
    No it probably wouldn't...doesn't actually seem to provide any benefit to your device.

If you're considering "MemoryUp" but haven't yet read this thread, you really ought to. Everything about this piece of software and the supposed company behind it screams "fake". The product couldn't possibly do what it claims to do - it would have to bypass all the entire Java security model as well as that of the Blackberry OS itself in order to do what it claims. Every little tidbit of information about the supposed company appears to be bogus as well (read the thread). While it may not do any harm other than use up cycles and memory in a useless fashion, it truly appears to be a useless fake.

I would not consider loading it on my Curve.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Thanks for all your input guys, I'm new to BB and have really come to depend on the opinions posted here. Thanks for helping me not waste my money....it sounded so good but I knew to look it up here first!

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

At the expense of making myself "look like a foo", especially in light of the knowledgeable posts from programmers and experts here, I'm going to post some positive feedback on this.

I've been running MemoryUp since last summer. I tend to agree that it didn't seem to do much and that the multicolour displays, the status screens were dubious at best, and that the BB's status screens and MemoryUp's numbers didn't make sense.

But hear me out.

About mid-December, I had a... let's say, phone mishap, and I ended up reloading everything using JL_Cmdr and reinstalling all my 3rd party apps from scratch. Many 3rd party apps I did not bother reinstalling because I rarely used them. I also deleted all vendor themes except Dimension Zen, the sample video, PTT, TTY support, etc.; so that after a battery pull, I would have approximately 30 megs free. MemoryUp was one of those apps I did not reinstall. Nonetheless, I still had a good dozen 3rd party apps installed.

I have my BB set to more or less self clean; that is, I have emails/SMS set to delete after 2 weeks, I have the event log off, I get about 12 SMS a day and 5 emails per day on average and so the in/out flow is more or less stable/constant.

But, I have [had] what seemed like a memory leak problem. I am running 4.2.1.101 and although I tried one OS upgrade since, when I reloaded, I went back to .101. Basically on a battery pull, I would come up at 30 megs free and over time I would drop and by the end of the day, I'd be at 24 or 25 megs file free. If I battery pulled or soft reset, I'd be back at 30 and the cycle would repeat.

At first I looked at all my 3rd party programs, Viigo (I have it set for 500 articles), my custom themes (can they leak memory, I wondered?), PD Pro (testing the new beta versions), and although I changed versions, played with settings, even ran with those apps off entirely (by not opening Viigo at all, not running PD Pro, switched to Dimension Zen theme, etc.), the leak persisted. I went like this for several weeks with no change. So I reinstated these apps since it seemed to make no difference and resumed using them like I usually do.

Sure, 24 megs file free isn't the end of the world but it bugged me that it'd go from 30 to 24... what if I only had 10 free, would it drop to 4 free?

So, a week ago, I installed MemoryUp again. I had to upgrade to 2.0 because I lost the original archive and so my old reg key didn't work. Fine, I will run in unregistered mode.

Okay, my file free went down to the upper end 29 megs file free after a battery pull (makes sense, since the program itself takes up space). BUT, throughout the week, it did not drop below 29 megs file free (using the native Options - Status screen, not the MemoryUp numbers) except once to 28 megs and later it went back up to 29 megs free (maybe I had a lot of Viigo articles /shrug). Believe me, I checked Status often -- it's almost habitual for me to do so now.

Now it's not my intent to refute what's been posted here, many of you know far more about JVM and stuff than I do, and I'm no programmer under any platform. In the strictest sense, I didn't gain more memory or anything of the fantastic/supernatural nature, but MemoryUp is doing something for me. While saying that the phone seems snappier (it does) is subjective, I can at least say that it seems to have stopped what I feel is some sort of memory leak by whatever cleanup or reclaim routines it might use. That, for me at least (your mileage may vary) made it worth it for me. I paid the $2 upgrade fee and registered version 2.0.

At the very least, it might be worth a second look at.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

Not sure what your experience is due to, but if you'll read back through the thread, it is truly impossible for this "product" to do what it claims to do -- unless they have a special arrangement with RIM and SUN to bypass the security provisions and application isolation provisions of both company's product lines.

Additionally, let's not forget all the indications that the company is likely a total sham, along with their supposed "president", who doesn't exist, and whose photo has the name of another person as the file name. Finally - this "company" has been around for years, and if a ground-breaking product such as this claims to be -- one that can bypass Java security and RIM security -- really works, it would have been reviewed and noticed by now by legitimate labs and review sites.

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

I can't argue with any of the technical aspects (nor is it my intent). I have read the entire thread, along with those in other threads and other boards too.

As for the bogus company/president stuff, my thoughts are that it's simply a one or two-man operation trying to make themselves look bigger than they are (as do many developers... "Acme Software Company Inc.") and it backfired. Not unlike some websites that have multiple email addresses: support@acmesoftware.com, sales@acmesoftware.com, webmaster@acmesoftware.com, customerrelations@acmesoftware.com, janitor@acmesoftware.com... where it's all one guy. It works most of the time, but this fellow/company got caught by some sharp eyed detectives.

But I'm not defending the program nor the company. I'm just passing on what I experienced after giving this application another go.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast