Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Ummm....that person leaving the review on the site couldn't spell to save their life! LOL ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

Re: Boost Up your BlackBerry with MemoryUp Mobile RAM Booster

Advertisement

Ummm....that person leaving the review on the site couldn't spell to save their life!

LOL

Can anyone in PLAIN ENGLISH tell me if this thing is worth it or not?
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

Adwiv no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    -

After re-thinking all this, I'm retracting my statement. This still isn't a valid comparison. Yes, installing the app will use some memory, but if you don't perform things on the BB that use and supposedly release memory (the same things both before and after) and then make the comparison it doesn't mean any thing. You are only telling us how much memory the program uses.

Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Well, the program CLAIMED that it freed or recovered 4,065,908 Bytes. Where did it go? Shouldn't the freed up memory show up on blackberry status screen?

I have made a simple assumption. If a program frees some memory, it should reflect on blackberry. If the program claims it has just recovered 4mb of memory, and the blackberry shows no improvement in free memory under Options >> Status >> File Free, I suspect something fishy.

Zekialstone no está en línea Stack level 3

Will reseting the BB achieve the same results?

jorgeg.ledes no está en línea Developer

Well, I downloaded it tested it out and it seems very snappy(I'm not technical at all, these are just my impressions) I upgraded my 8700 to OS 4.2 and have been experiencing a slight delay on the basic pims and after I installed this app, the lag is gone, its super snappy, so, so far so good, perhaps the developer can chime and explain a bit further what is going internally on the blackberry.
    Best regards

Jorge Ledesma
    PIN 2440BE7C

www.blackberrygtd.com

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

I think this Adwiv guy is a counter espionage agent from another software company. hehe
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider
    I think this Adwiv guy is a counter espionage agent from another software company. hehe
    I am just a developer, who understands java and blackberry, and what is possible

Really, isn't it wonderful what a a good interface can make ppl believe

Check this out if you are interested :

http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...ooster-bb.html

Without going into all the technical details...
    Sounds like wishful thinking.

If these guys could optimize RAM they'd be billionaires and would not be selling to consumers - they'd be selling to equipment manufacturers.

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

Yup... I'm incredibly suspicious about this company and product. I suspect it's pure snake oil.

I searched the web thoroughly, and review the "emobistudio" website thoroughly, and none of it hangs together.

A version of the product is being sold for Symbian as well - and there are NO reviews or tests that have ever been conducted in any kind of rigorous fashion that have been published about this product - none. Could, of course, be that this is somehow an underground wonder...but the company has successfully spammed the net with loads of press releases, and managed to get every shareware site on the net to sell the product. The press release and website material is good: they provide enough info so that sales websites merely have to copy and paste to have something that APPEARS to be a review - when in fact, they're all identical, and all copies of the company's own material.

I wrote a bunch more in a post yesterday in this thread:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...does_work.html

Also: re Java / software architecture, etc... I don't believe there is an API call that would actually allow an unsigned java applet/midlet to "examine" and "control" the JVM as it affects all other running Java processes. This would be counter to the java security model. Also: as pointed out in the thread, if this truly worked, it would be something that would have either been created by RIM or licensed to RIM by the company, so it could be distributed with EVERY blackberry being sold going forward - making the company far more than it will make with a few thousand shareware downloads.

Something is seriously fishy here. The sites they claim to have reviewed it (CNET / Tucows / Topshareware) all come up blank when you search for the product on them. The "testimonial", supposedly from George Mahon somewhere in the US sounds a lot like the semi-English that you'll read on the website. The company's CEO ("Robert Wintson") appears to not exist as far as I can tell.

I am increasingly convinced this is a total scam. I'm also incredibly disappointed that so many websites will happily promote this product as if it's real, simply copying the promo material as if it's fact. This is incredibly misleading, and does a huge disservice to consumers.

Here's a bit more:

Try right-clicking on the photo of "Robert Wintson", the "founder & CEO", and you'll see that the name of the image is "george.jpg"...

Then - I looked up the "North American Office" address that they list, and it turn out that "North White Oak Lane" in Gurnee, IL is a tiny street in a suburban subdivision. Interestingly, there are only two other hits on the net when you search for that street. One is for "iMobLife.com" - another (?) software company looking incredibly similar to eMobiStudio, also claiming all sorts of awards and partnerships - none of which can be verified on the sites that claim gave them the awards.

Interesting that, despite claiming that their software is used by people in 60 countries, not a single actual reviewer has touched it.

Hmmm...

Right down the street, the only other listing to show up on the net is for some kind of ministry, wherein a couple who live in a townhouse on the street are looking for the recipients of their newsletter to help fund them to the tune of an extra $1,000 a month so they can afford to travel back to the Philippines to continue their ministry.

Very strange...

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Question Re: Boost Up your BlackBerry with MemoryUp Mobile RAM Booster

Quote Originally Posted by Adwiv
    I am just a developer, who understands java and blackberry, and what is possible

Really, isn't it wonderful what a a good interface can make ppl believe

Check this out if you are interested :

http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...ooster-bb.html
    I appologize if I offended you, notice the hehe, after my quote? However, how would you explain why my free memory dropped from 46000000 down to 23600000? (Can't remember exact figures) Now, I don't know sheit about java, just not understanding.
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

I appologize if I offended you, notice the hehe, after my quote? However, how would you explain why my free memory dropped from 46000000 down to 23600000? (Can't remember exact figures) Now, I don't know sheit about java, just not understanding.
    btw.I'm not saying you guy's are wrong, I'm just trying to understand the WHY.
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

egale no está en línea Stack level 1

Where did you see the memory drop displayed? Was it the application telling you or the Blackberry status screen?

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Status screen......does that tell u something?
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

I am no programmer, but it seems you can logically see that it isn't exactly snakeoil, but it may not be doing everything it claims. for example, Adwiv made an excellent point in saying if a program claims to have freed X amount of memory, it should show on the status screen. We are kinda forgetting what OS is being ran. I highly doubt a popup company is going to produce a program that gives a more accurate memory reading than the original programmers (RIM) so the burden of proof is on this company. Chances are its memory recovery is fluff or it is "reclaiming" what the OS already does automatically.. sorta like that boss who tells you do what you were going to do anyway. "Johnson, go to lunch!" "...I was already walking out the door."

As to those who are noticing (myself included) that pics seem to load up faster etc, doesn't the program claim to more effectively use the available memory, including forcing the system to use a larger cache and auto-allocate key threads?

it definitely isn't as effective on BB's as it claims to be in the department of memory recovery. In older OS versions where the memory leaks were a big issue (e.g. tmo's .64) it might have helped recover it and lessened the need for battery pulls, but in the current OS I am not noticing anything significant in the digits, the slightly quicker pic/vid loading is nice though.
    Last edited by blackninja; 08-14-2007 at 11:30 AM.

I have been a developer (among other things) for more than 20 years... and it's actually pretty easy to look up documentation on the memory management functions made available to developers by RIM for the Blackberry. If you do that, you'll find that the functions generally available are either inquiries, or thngs related to garbage collection (GC). GC is generally done automatically by the operating system (java runtime, or OS, etc), based on various pre-determined parameters - the idea is to optimize how often GC happens, because doing it too often will result in slowing down other programs that are running while GC is busy rearranging memory blocks.

Aside from GC, there is precious little that a program like this COULD possibly do. They claim that it "analyzes" memory that's in use by various programs. There is, in fact, no way it could do this aside from relying on the same mechanisms that GC uses - enumerating a list of objects that no longer have references to them. Aside from that, a third party - unsigned - program like this could not gain access to memory allocated by other running programs, rearrange memory in real time without trashing those programs, and leave everything intact.

Re: logically seeing that it's not snake-oil... I don't agree. Everything about it is suspicious, from the non-existent CEO with an image file name that is for a different person, to the impossible claims, to the address of the "US office" that is a townhouse next door to another suspicious software company, selling other suspicious software.

If it "seems" to be doing something, please remember how many people talked themselves into believing that the paste-in sticker antenna boosters make a real difference - despite the fact that every single objective test ever performed showed them to be totally bogus. With something that is subjective - especially when it can vary minute to minute (as mobile program performance can for a variety of reasons) and most especially when we *want* it to work - people often perceive what they are hoping will be the outcome.

Hey - if this were real and legitimate, I would be the first to use it. But everything about it seems wrong.

And I expect anyone planning to sell a product for blackbery to atleast announce on one of the forums. There is noone from the company to annouce about it on the either Pinstack or BBF.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast