Sorry if this has been covered already. I did some searching and found nothing. I ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

rone no está en línea Stack level 2

App to alter phone connections, location based?

Advertisement

Sorry if this has been covered already. I did some searching and found nothing.

I don't know if this is even possible but I am wondering if there exists an app for the blackberry (I have an 8900 on t-mobile) than can turn wi-fi and cell radio on and off based on location?

What I am thinking is that based on cell tower connected to, turn off or on the wi-fi radio.

When connected over wi-fi automatically turn off the cell radio.

No Cell connection turn wi-fi on.

No wi-fi connection turn cell on.

No connection on either, they both stay on.

scheduling for the bluetooth on and off would be nice also.

I know this could cause calls to drop when transfering between wi-fi and cell but that is very infrequent for me and I think the gain in battery life could be worth it.

When I am at one work location, wi-fi does nothing for me. When at the other location wi-fi is needed but cell does nothing for me. Cell does not even connect in most of the building. I move between locations as needed, no set schedule and it frequent enough that manually switching the radios all the time is pain.

Also at home UMA is much better for me than Cell. So Daily I switch between wi-fi and cell serveral times. Manually switching radios all day is just not feasible. Automatic switching would be great!.

I do not have the coding skills with the blackberry to even know if this can be done.

richnere no está en línea Stack level 2
    I would be very interested in a program like this. I have the same issues.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

I did find this software, which is schedule based.

http://www.bilbysoftware.com/bb-bbconnections.html

The schedule does not really work for me because mine varies too much.

I did contact the author with my ideas. The author thanked me for my suggestions and will consider them all. The author also asked for some clarifications so I think the interest is real.

frisco49ers no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2840D481
    Does keeping both radio's on really make a difference in battery consumption?
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

I have found leaving the wi-fi on when not being used to consume a lot of battery on my 8900. It does not seem near as bad when the wi-fi actually has something to connect to.

I have not seen any other side effects.

richnere no está en línea Stack level 2