I have a blackberry 8700c from ATT but it is only on a data plan. ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

InGearX no está en línea Stack level 1

Any way to do any voice over blackberry data plan?

Advertisement

I have a blackberry 8700c from ATT but it is only on a data plan.

I was wondering if there are any services / programs that would let me do voice in any way... (Say send a voice msg or receive a voice msg and listen to it using the data plan?)

Or any additionaly services I could take advantage of...

(and I'm sure on day Skype on it will be a reality...)

Thank you all...

visortgw no está en línea Stack level 3

Lightbulb Re: Any way to do any voice over blackberry data plan?

What OS version are you using? With OS v4.2.x, you can use various RIM applications (e.g., BlackBerry Messenger) and third-party applications (e.g., limited success with SHAPE Services' VR+ -- there are still some UI issues for the 8700-series with their latest v2.2.1 release) to send/receive voice messages.

jorgeg.ledes no está en línea Developer

Re: Any way to do any voice over blackberry data plan?

IM+ Skype works like a charm
    Best regards

Jorge Ledesma
    PIN 2440BE7C

www.blackberrygtd.com

visortgw no está en línea Stack level 3

Lightbulb Re: Any way to do any voice over blackberry data plan?

Quote Originally Posted by jorgeg.ledes View Post
    IM+ Skype works like a charm
    ... but IM+ for Skype is not a VoIP product. It uses airtime minutes as well as SkypeOut to interface other Skype users and international calls. The following is from SHAPE Services' FAQ for IM+ for Skype (http://www.shapeservices.com/en/faq/...atform=bb#01):

"As you know wireless network communications are not free. If they were, we wouldn’t have to pay to our mobile operators. So, that answers the question why you have to pay.

Voice in wireless network can be transferred as voice (VoIP) or as voice data (like with SkypeOut).

IM+ for Skype
    uses SkypeOut to transfer voice data over this wireless network, which ends up being rather cost-efficient if compared to Voice over IP (VoIP). With VoIP the airtime charge would be much higher than the charge with SkypeOut.

Furthermore, the call quality is better when you use SkypeOut rather than VoIP.
    So, overall, VoIP would generate much traffic and would not guarantee good call quality, whereas communications through SkypeOut generates little GPRS traffic and provides a quality conversation."

SHAPE no está en línea Developer

Re: Any way to do any voice over blackberry data plan?

Thank you visortqw, IM+ for Skype is actually not a VoIP product. SkypeOut service is used to realize calls with IM+ for Skype.

InGearx, if you have only data plan, you still can use IM+ for Skype for calls and chat. You are required to set up as a callback any landline you have nearby or other mobile number. You will be able to initiate a call from your BlackBerry. You will recieve a callback to the number you have specified. This is because when you use IM+ for Skype you are actually making two calls: one - to your contact and another - to your callback number. As you receive an incoming call to your callback phone you will be charged for it. In the meantime SkypeOut Credits are required to make and receive calls in IM+ for Skype.
    Victoria
    Head of QA & Customer Care
    SHAPE Services