Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

paullamm no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319b4998

Re: An Email Revolution is coming your way !

Advertisement

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ani
    ani no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by eZainny
    I really don't want to start anything here and it is certainly not my intention, but there is a reason why we at BlackBerrySmart do not operate in the way empower does and I simply want to provide clarification for those who ask.

Empower actually modifies the email program developed by RIM - it removes fields that were previously in the default viewer (in particular, the AutoEditTextField that displays text) and replaces it with its own BrowserField. We believe this constitutes an illegal modification of RIMs software.

For example, this is akin to somebody writing a program for your windows PC which hacks Microsoft Word to change the font options. In effect, you are changing somebody elses software that is not yours to change and passing it off as your own. Microsoft have in past brought legal proceedings against people who have tried similar things.

RIM created the default email viewer and provided a set of APIs that allow developers to interact with it in a way they permit. BBSmart does this, using the APIs RIM has provided and in no way interfers with it. Empower does not do this, it uses something of a back door to modify a program that is not theirs to modify and passes it off as a creation of their own.

Firstly I am not a lawyer, that is just my understanding.

Secondly, I do not wish to take anything away from the work done by empower. I think they have created a good program and I completely respect the developers and commend them for their efforts.

Peace out! And I do mean that. Let's please not turn this into a mud slinging match. I simply wanted to weigh in my thoughts on the matter since I've had a few people asking me about us two companies.

Cheers,
    eZainny.
    What do i say, words fail me now...

I don't know how a free empower that is still in beta with 2 known issues, poses any threat to SV that has been pulled out of beta, declared stable and gone commercial with..

But if you view any of my previous posts right from when I am active here - I have always said - bbsmart is a good program. So i say it again to all, pls try SV once. And only then give empower a chance.. its just something that we have done, and opened free to everyone.. u are welcome to use it if you like it...

Now, regarding the technicalities of how empower does in 26 kb what sv cannot do in 260 kb, I just have one line answer - anyone who knows what 'plugins' are knows it. We have firefox extensions. We have outlook plugins, gtd-plugins. We have winamp skins. Windows themes. Excel plugins.. numerous examples out there. They all use api provided by respective companies to extend the functionality of the native apps. We do the same - use APIs provided by RIM to better the UI.

lastly its interesting to note that people were asking you about the two products, but you choose to reply in this thread !!

That said, I leave it to users to use the apps and figure out for themself.. I m new here, and I'm more than happy with the response i have got for a beta product.. we are developers, we love coding, and we will rather spend time taking suggestions and improving empower than getting drawn into posts like this one..

eZainny no está en línea Stack level 2

Hi ani,

As I mentioned my intention was not to in any way threaten you guys, I just wanted to keep people informed.

As a developer, you know as well as I do exactly how your application works. The reason your app. only take 26kb is because you haven't had to implement the actual functionality of an email program - instead you are piggybacking off RIMs program.

Your examples you gave about plugins are invalid. Plugins work when companies provide you with an API to extend the functionality of their software. You are not using any API to access RIMs email program - you are grabbing an object hook into the default email program and replacing fields with your own. That's an entirely different ballgame and any developer worth his salt could come in and confirm that.

If RIM wanted you to access the email program, they would have made it public. It's not, it's internal and you can't even cast down to it if you wanted since it resides in .cod files which have been specifically obfuscated (using RetroGuard) to prevent what you are doing. That is nothing at all like the plugin examples you gave.

Anyway, I didn't want to scare off anyone. Like Ani, I encourage all to try both and see what you like. I'm just letting you know that there could be potential legal repercussions instigated by RIM because you are breaking the SDK license agreement you signed up for when downloading the dev. tools.

It's your call whether you choose to ignore that warning. RIM is your biggest problem now guys, not me.

Peace all, let's keep this clean and move on to happier times I'll leave your thread now. Choice is good. At the end of the day, users win. Like you, I'd much rather spend time just coding (it's what we devs love).

Thanks,
    eZainny.

Quote Originally Posted by ani
    What do i say, words fail me now...

I don't know how a free empower that is still in beta with 2 known issues, poses any threat to SV that has been pulled out of beta, declared stable and gone commercial with..

But if you view any of my previous posts right from when I am active here - I have always said - bbsmart is a good program. So i say it again to all, pls try SV once. And only then give empower a chance.. its just something that we have done, and opened free to everyone.. u are welcome to use it if you like it...

Now, regarding the technicalities of how empower does in 26 kb what sv cannot do in 260 kb, I just have one line answer - anyone who knows what 'plugins' are knows it. We have firefox extensions. We have outlook plugins, gtd-plugins. We have winamp skins. Windows themes. Excel plugins.. numerous examples out there. They all use api provided by respective companies to extend the functionality of the native apps. We do the same - use APIs provided by RIM to better the UI.

lastly its interesting to note that people were asking you about the two products, but you choose to reply in this thread !!

That said, I leave it to users to use the apps and figure out for themself.. I m new here, and I'm more than happy with the response i have got for a beta product.. we are developers, we love coding, and we will rather spend time taking suggestions and improving empower than getting drawn into posts like this one..

paullamm no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319b4998

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Empower let's us 4.1 OS reply to emails. When will the folders option be available.

Never heard of FUD before. Sounds like it fits. My guess if it is a problem RIM will take care of it with the developer.

I love the program so far.

ani

Thanks Paul, folder implementation is being worked out. Will drop in a PM when its out.. Right now, we are writing some options for setting color etc in the HTML viewer before we release a new component..

ani

everyone, we are trying to put in some options for background colors. Now the only issue here is that my sense of color is not really great!

If you can let us know some of the colors you would like to see in there.. it will be slightly easier for us. for start i am thinking of pale yellow, light blue .. what else??

yoshio no está en línea Stack level 2

I really just want a plain white background...

Love the program!

ani

Quote Originally Posted by yoshio
    I really just want a plain white background...

Love the program!
    Thank you, you will have it

tfrankson no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2845FBAD

Great job on this app. I'm looking forward to the folders and built in spell check integrations. For the color background a light Pink would be nice.

mcgowan08 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by ani
    everyone, we are trying to put in some options for background colors. Now the only issue here is that my sense of color is not really great!

If you can let us know some of the colors you would like to see in there.. it will be slightly easier for us. for start i am thinking of pale yellow, light blue .. what else??
    Nothing wrong with plain old white either. You're way above my head on the technical aspects of your product so I have no idea if white is an option or not. The aforementioned blue would be nice as well. While we're at it, how about different font options?

ani

Pale Yellow, Sky Blue, Light Pink and White.

That makes it four. I think 10 color choices will be enough, so 6 more to go !

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

OK, i tried the OTA download address and I got a pop up that said the server couldn't understand the page request. Did I do something wrong?

ani

www.getempower.com/emv.php
    pls note its php at the end. if there are issues, just let me know. I intend to put up a zip with alx/cod as well for the DM users.

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5

Looks great so far....loving it.
    I Unlock All Mobile Devices, questions just ask

dts51 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask ;-)

Silver or grey, aqua, orange.

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast