Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

just out of curiousity - i've looked and read a lot of threads regarding 3rd ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

knightberlin no está en línea Stack level 2

alx conversion

Advertisement

just out of curiousity - i've looked and read a lot of threads regarding 3rd party software (and esp. games). it's evident that majority of stackers are newbies just like me, having no knowledge of how the programs work, how to convert from one file to alx - alx being the easiest way to install into our bb's.

a suggestion, if i may, and assuming that nobody has asked this before: would somebody with the knowledge and expertise (and of course the time) please...PLEASE... make a database of converted software, games, themes, and what-have-u...to a file (such as alx) where newbies, newcomers, perhaps guests, can just download it and install in their bb's without going thru the pain of chasing, downloading more software, installing, etc., which only experienced programmers have the ability to do?

thanks a lot...i'm not crying yet ... but my hair is thinning coz i still can't figure out how to work on the jar files i've downloaded

andreybutov no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: alx conversion

The .alx file itself is almost meaningless. An application for BlackBerry comes as a .cod file which contains the program which was built with a stripped down version of Java.

The .alx file itself is a text file describing which .cod file to install on the device -- among other things. You can take a look at it yourself. Just open the .alx file with a text editor, and you'll see a few readable things, including a reference to the .cod file, which is the main application.

If you want an example, go download the Antair BlackBerry Spam Filter from BlackBerrySpamFilter.com

Inside are two files, an .alx and a .cod. The .alx can be opened with a text editor, and simply tells the BlackBerry desktop manager what .cod file to install, and what the requirements for the program are.

That being said, you cannot simply take any application and convert it to, as you said, an .alx. Programs that run on BlackBerry devices are designed, programmer, and compiled specifically to run on BlackBerry devices, through a custom BlackBerry API.

- Cheers
    - Andrey
    - BlackBerrySpamFilter.com
    Antair BlackBerry Software
    A spam filter for a cleaner inbox, a call screener to block calls, and more great BlackBerry tools.
    www.antair.com

lesawag no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

You could maybe start with ota apps and games, to begin with till u feel comfortable tring others...just a thought.

hi andrey,
    exactly what i'm saying...we'll easily get lost doing things since we don't know really what we need...so if there's a database of these downloads in files that we need without going thru other downloads as well, don't you think it'll be more fun for the newbies?...eg...take a jar and jad files to convert to cod file - need java software things, right? if i'm not familiar with dos programs then i'm already lost...perhaps you can share your stack of alx and cod files? ....just a thought, and thanks for the reply....

thanx lesawag,
    of course ota is the simplest and easiest way...for sure though, there are others who don't have the service (like me, so i need the usb, lol)...
    and think about it...why do we go thru a lot of fuss just to move pictures and tunes to our bb's?
    no pain, no gain?
    thanks again...

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

knightberlin

But then if we did all that for you, you wouldn't learn. As you said, no pain, no gain.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

reemobeens19 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    na

i would like to request the "how to" on the conversion from .jad & .jar to .cod. thanks in advance. i would like the opportunity to reload my os multiple times...... um i mean make my own mistakes and learn how to do it. " nopain no gain"

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

reemobeens,

Check out this thread, BlackBerry Software Development for Beginners. There should be some links there that will get you started. I'm not into programimg but know that you will need the tools given in the links to convert jad to alx. The .jad file is the OTA equivalent to the .alx file and both install the .cod files to the BB. As to .jar, I'm not really sure how those are used.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Update!

I'd like to offer free service to newbies - just like a community service for my school. I can now convert .jar / .jad files to .alx / .cod files !

Send me the files, I'll convert it, then send it back to you...

I like this forum and I'd like to help out in any way I can. Thanks to the experts who have made life easy for us...somehow.

Cheers

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

thanks knightberlin! how cool is that? and welcome to pinstack!

webzombie007 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: alx conversion and upload to BB

Quote Originally Posted by knightberlin
    Update!

I'd like to offer free service to newbies - just like a community service for my school. I can now convert .jar / .jad files to .alx / .cod files !

Send me the files, I'll convert it, then send it back to you...

I like this forum and I'd like to help out in any way I can. Thanks to the experts who have made life easy for us...somehow.

Cheers
    Hi knightberlin,

My corporate IT wouldn't allow 3rd party application download OTA. Is there a way to upload yahoo go 2.0 on my Blackberry 8700c. I can download the .jad file from yahoo, and a bunch of CODs that are listed in the .JAD, but somehow the .jar is not accesible on thier website.

Is there a way for me to install this on my BB through the desktop manager or app loader? If so, what step do I need to take?

Thanks much for your help. You can also contact me at webzombie007 at gmail dot com. I can email you the .jad file.

staplesking no está en línea Stack level 1

knightberlin,

I'm going to PM you and then hopefully email you two .jad files

one of them is Google's gmail mobile, and the other is google maps mobile...

staplesking no está en línea Stack level 1

Oh, and BTW,

I use opera, and can't download O-T-A jad files, because it tries to open the BB browser, and I don't have a BB data plan...

Thanks!

kazbear no está en línea Stack level 1

staplesking,

I am interested in the google maps file as well. Can you help

Thanks
    -kaz

jlambeth1 no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks for helping us out knightberlin. I would like to have the following file converted if you could. I would PM it to you but I don't have the alotted 10 posts yet to use the PM feature of this forum.

geekandproud.net/blackberry/autolock/autolock.jad

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast