Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This has been talked about for a long time and I know "we" can find ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

sanzen71 no está en línea Stack level 3

AIM 2.0 on ATT 8310...........Sorta!

Advertisement

This has been talked about for a long time and I know "we" can find a solution.
    Aim 2.0 came out and I know some of us stackers have it working on their BB.
    And there are the rest of us that would like it, but cannot have it on our BB's.
    Point is I have half of the problem solved but need help from other here.

Here's what I've done so far.

Carrier:ATT w/ BIS
    Model:8310 Red

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8310-v4.5.0.44_P2.7.0.61\aim.alx ----Opened in Notepad (*OS will vary)

It will look something like below:
    <!-- <directory _appsVersion="[4.1.0,)">Java</directory> -->
    <directory _appsVersion="[4.1.0,4.2.0)">Java</directory>
    <directory _appsVersion="[4.2.0,)">Java</directory>
    <fileset _vendorID="1|100" Java="1.0" _appsVersion="[4.1.0,)" Colour="True">

Replace "100" with whatever vendor code you are using. Close Notepad and you will be prompted to save. Save!

Now open Desktop Manager and continue to Application Loader. DM should inform you that AIM needs to be installed. Install and let DM do it's thing. Once finished you should be able to see the AIM icon on your home screen.

Go To Options>Advanced Options>Applications
    You'll notice AIM is at the top of the list with Ver. 2.0.4.6

Ok Now here's where I can use a fellow stackers help. Just like Yahoo! When you try and Sign On it pops up with the error message "Service Not Enabled For This Handheld"

So what Im thinking is this is playing out just like Y! Messenger and Im hoping the fix is as easy as the service books for AIM 2.0. If anyone wants to help me figure this out for us all here on the stacks, Please do so and give me your input on what we can do to get this working.

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I don't see the point in changing the alx file. Either way AIM will open up the same way. I found out how to do it for T-Mobile but I doubt ATT would work the same way. Or maybe, I don't know lol.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=57545

Quote Originally Posted by J@ricanese View Post
    I don't see the point in changing the alx file. Either way AIM will open up the same way. I found out how to do it for T-Mobile but I doubt ATT would work the same way. Or maybe, I don't know lol.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=57545
    Changing the vendor id will allow people with different carriers to install it through DM. Notice how the default vendor id is "100" which is T-Mobile. This is the reason why you did not have to do this.

*UPDATE*

Thanks to J@ricanese, he provided his working service books and I am no longer shot down right away with and error message. Instead haha of course another pops up. So now lets see how we can overcome this error now.

PIN/ID
    ASK
    The good news is that it isn't the same error lol. You deleted your vendor.xml file?
    Hmm Im trying to figure out where that error came from.. unless it's just a usual bad connection error where you can try again later and it works.

Yes vendor.xml file is deleted. I did a battery pull and will try again once BB is up and running.

EDIT:Tried after battery pull and still same error message.
    Last edited by sanzen71; 06-25-2008 at 03:26 AM.

CaCHooKa Man no está en línea Stack level 3
    no matter what you do, it wont connect. at&t blocks it even if you use another carriers service books so youre forced to use oz messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by CaCHooKa Man View Post
    no matter what you do, it wont connect. at&t blocks it even if you use another carriers service books so youre forced to use oz messenger.
    So what about Y! Messenger? The same workaround was done and now Y! Messenger works with T-Mobile service books on ATT?

PIN/ID
    ASK
    Hmm then iono. If Yahoo Messenger work you would think AIM would too. Hmm. Well did you try it with the 4.5 os? Or did you downgrade immediately?

Quote Originally Posted by J@ricanese View Post
    Hmm then iono. If Yahoo Messenger work you would think AIM would too. Hmm. Well did you try it with the 4.5 os? Or did you downgrade immediately?
    I am currently running 4.5.0.44 now. Another question is this service book for AIM 2.0 or AIM from RIM??

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Check the service book and make sure you have the 2.0 book

Quote Originally Posted by RSCStacker View Post
    Check the service book and make sure you have the 2.0 book
    Yeah thats what I was thinking. But not sure how to check or if it is??

PIN/ID
    LESS
    go into options>advanced options>servicebooks>then find the aim service book and lookat the details should say if it is 2.0 or not.

Doesnt say I have two that say AOL-BBIM and one that says WIRELESS VILLAGE-AIM

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Sounds like you have the old version to me. because if I remember correctly the new aim actually says 2.0.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast