Recently, AT&T made an Instant Messaging client for BlackBerry users available through MediaNet. The client ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Thumbs down Advisory for AT&T (formerly Cingular) customers Re: "Free" OZ Instant Messaging

Advertisement

Recently, AT&T made an Instant Messaging client for BlackBerry users available through MediaNet. The client is OZ Instant Messaging and rather than using the BlackBerry Data Plan connection you're already paying for, it uses SMS!

SMS is NOT included in (the old) standard BlackBerry Data Plans. Text messaging is now available as part of your Data Plan at extra cost. This can be as little as $4.99 for 200 messages, or $10 for 1500 text messages, or unlimited text messages for $20 (from what I can interprut from their confusing Personal Blackberry plans page!).

Note that is is for Personal plans only. As far as I can tell, any BES connection - even a hosted BES - requires a separate messaging plan with similar rates (again, at least from what I can interprut from their sparse BlackBerry Corporate Plans page and their even more confusing and difficult to find Messaging and Media (TM) Bundles!.

To add insult to injury, the client is lame and although it can connect to Yahoo, AIM, and MSN, it can only use one network at a time!

I am not saying don't use their client, but be aware of the actual cost of the client compared to other IM clients which run as little as $19.95 for JiveTalk - an excellent client IMHO - as well as a many others listed on my Apps page.

If this doesn't intimidate you - there are those that may already have unlimited text messaging and only want one IM client - by all means, by all means use it, but be aware that because it's using SMS, your response times will be even worse than the already noticeable delay with good Data Networked IM clients.

If you're still interested in trying the client, open your WAP browser (typically called Media Net), and from the home page (which usually fails on the first try!), scroll to Mail & Messaging, then click on the Mobile IM link. (I'm not posting links because they're all based on the AT&T network with http://home as their base URL and unavailable without AT&T/Media Net's special routing).
    Last edited by jdellasala; 07-25-2007 at 08:49 AM.
    JerryD

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Re: Advisory for AT&T (formerly Cingular) customers Re: "Free" OZ Instant Messaging

No thanks, I'll stick with JiveTalk. You get what you pay for.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

nyydynasty no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Advisory for AT&T (formerly Cingular) customers Re: "Free" OZ Instant Messaging

i like jivetalk. i'll be sticking with that lol
    www.iamletired.com
    ...come one, come all....

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

just wondering how it uses SMS, it has to know your mobile phone number... which I didn't know a web page can pull. Is AT&T relaying that information to the company? I would think they must disclose 1) that there are extra fees for use, and 2) that they will give out your mobile number.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I don't know how they get away with it either. TMobile puts the same IM client on its BBs and it uses texts.

But it is limited to 30 contacts per messaging client. Also the 1 client open limitation is insane. That's why I don't use it.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I don't know how they get away with it either. TMobile puts the same IM client on its BBs and it uses texts.

But it is limited to 30 contacts per messaging client. Also the 1 client open limitation is insane. That's why I don't use it.
    The one on Tmobile I can see because it sends the message out as SMS, therefore their servers just reply to the sender's address (mobile number)... but wow for AT&T's

Good info/heads up if it's true.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

alnineball no está en línea Stack level 2

Yep its true. It uses SMS. I have had it on my pearl for a while now. I dont use it alot. It works ok if you want something thats free and you have a sms plan and only want to log into one IM network. But also be warned, youre are charged for incoming AND outgoing. It dosnt take long to eat up messages when you get charged for both. I used JiveTalk while it was in BETA it is by far superior to OZ.

dgy2k1 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39
    just wondering how it uses SMS, it has to know your mobile phone number... which I didn't know a web page can pull. Is AT&T relaying that information to the company? I would think they must disclose 1) that there are extra fees for use, and 2) that they will give out your mobile number.
    The download comes from AT&T via their Media Net Browser. Not directly from Oz. I have been using it since I got my Pearl. They updated it recently, but I don't see the difference.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

It gets your phone number because when You log into the media net it is reading your phone to log in. Same as if You logged in on your home or work computer, You have to put in your phone number

dustyd_64 no está en línea Stack level 1

I've been using Nimbuzz.....kinda fun to hear my friends squeal every time they get IM spammed at the beginning of a convo.......