In my rural area, Google maps is miles off in judging my location. Is there ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

powerdog no está en línea Stack level 2

adjust Google Maps "my location"?

Advertisement

In my rural area, Google maps is miles off in judging my location. Is there any way to reset it manually, or does it just think what it wants to think?

furtive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7a47e9f3
    Without a GPS, you're at the mercy of triangulation of cell towers. And if you're in a rural area, you're pretty much screwed. Sorry.

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6
    I'm not really familiar with google maps, but isn't there a menu option to restore the app to it's original settings? (Maybe)

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Quote Originally Posted by beeshabo View Post
    I'm not really familiar with google maps, but isn't there a menu option to restore the app to it's original settings? (Maybe)

Even if you do that it wont change the location, I live out in the country too so it fails in my area, as soon as I am in town it works fine. but it requires the trangulation of Cell towers and bing in the country means you are hitting one only, so GPS is the best for this.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    You can always save a pinpoint where your house actually is, and use that for a starting point for directions, etc.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin View Post
    You can always save a pinpoint where your house actually is, and use that for a starting point for directions, etc.
    Yeah I do that with the Fire station I work out of as a volunteer. helps alot. Or sometimes we just drive to the house on fire.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

powerdog no está en línea Stack level 2
    I thought Google Maps could also use the GPS in my Pearl 8130. Does it have to be setup for that?

epiticus1 no está en línea Stack level 3

If you have an 8100 then your Google Maps will use GPRS which gives you your closest tower. Mine says I'm within 1700 meters.

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    My brother bought a small GPS bluetooth receiver, stuck it in his glove box and teathered it to his BB. It helped pinpoint him a little better...the device ran about $75 and is about the size of a zippo lighter. We have VZ Wireless, they've disabled GPS. I'm in protest...(p.s.-might find cheaper GPS recvr. on ebay.)

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    You DO realize that a GPS receiver needs to have a clear line-of-sight to the sky, don't you Jbee?

Unless he only stores it in there, your brother's GPS receiver wouldn't be able to pickup ANY signals from within his glovebox...