I'm the current owner of Veloceva Inc. ( www.veloceva.com ) We sell things online for ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

andrebsd no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240F09FB

A cheap word processor for BlackBerry

Advertisement

I'm the current owner of Veloceva Inc. (www.veloceva.com) We sell things online for other people, but since I was about 10 or so I've always wanted to run a software company. With that said, I'm looking into creating a cheap (think $5 to $10) word processor for BlackBerrys. Perhaps a web based or J2ME application would work too, since that would expand the market to most mobile devices, but things like printing may be next to impossible then. The cheapest BlackBerry word processor AFAIK is $59, so I think there would be a market for a cheaper one.

Now I do have a few problems, one being that I've done tech support most my life. If you got a problem I can most likely fix it, but I have never made any type of software. So I can't exactly develop it by myself, which brings me to the other problem; a lack of funding. I'm a 20 year old student and money isn't something that flows out my wallet. So I won't be able to pay developers much; what I can do is offer shares of my company. I was allocated 1500 total company shares with the articles of incorporation and could negotiate a percentage of the company in return. Granted the company shares are pretty much worthless right now.

So I'm looking for some help, I really wish I could just go out and hire some full-time developers but there simply aren't enough funds for that. If you know how to make blackberry software and are willing to do it either pro-bono or for a company percentage then I'd like to talk with you.

PIN: 240F09FB

Last edited by azstar; 03-14-2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: email removed per OP request
    PIN: 240F09FB - Feel free to msg anytime.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

alwaysbelieve1 no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: A cheap word processor for BlackBerry

What is the benefit of a WP for BB? I just use my notepad.
    Bob Garon II, Kettlebell Coach

Fitness Has Nothing To Do With Looking Good.
    BobGaronTraining.com

Follow Me At:
    Twitter
    Facebook

PIN/ID
    240F09FB

Memopad on the BlackBerry can't do even the most basic of word processing tasks. You can't format your documents at all (unless you hit space a bunch of times), you have no choice of fonts, no choice of text size. You can't print anything directly, and you can't spell check. Making tables is impossible and forget adding any images to your document. Headers, footers, and page numbers can't be added. You can't open any of the popular document formats so editing an existing document is impossible.

Of course if by "my notepad" you mean a physical notepad with a pen and paper, then you can do most anything other than automatically spell check the document. But I don't think many people would accept a hand written document for business or higher education. Not everyone wants to carry a laptop all the time, so it would be handy for people that need to type or edit a quick document. You surely wouldn't type your college thesis on it, but editing the paper your boss wanted revised while getting a cup of joe could be handy.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~makes sense and sounds good. I hope we can then transfer word and notepad docs to and from and accreas them from the phone. I tried to put a notepad doc on it, but couldn't find a file explorer to open anything except media.
    I hope a cheap WP will be a good one too.

Wow this will even be cheaper than the html email viewers. Lol

PIN/ID
    240F09FB

As far as pricing goes, I figure volume is quite important. I'd rather sell 10,000 copies at $10, than 4,000 at $20. The product is "virtual" in that it's just code you would download, so production cost doesn't increase with volume. If you make something physical, then you wan't to make each product count as much as possible. If your making something virtual, then you want sales. If you get it down to the right price then people who need the program only once would buy it and at $10 or so even people with little money, such as students, could afford it. I can't see many students splurging on a $60 word processor for their phone. For a large company it wouldn't matter as much but saving them $50 per person adds up quick.

Thats my opinion atleast.

For import/export of various formats, I'd have to figure out what is possible. Now I honestly don't believe many things are impossible, but I can't make any guarantees as to what can be done when I don't have programming knowlege. Proprietary formats don't seem to work very well in todays technology so it will have to support a few common document formats to even be viable to sell. If it just makes .bbdoc and nothing else can open it, then the program is pretty much useless.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~very good words.