Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK there seems to be a lot of new voicemail services popping up because of ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

3rd party internet voicemail services...what have you used?

Advertisement

OK there seems to be a lot of new voicemail services popping up because of this "Visual Voicemail" thing from the upcoming iPhone. Wondering what providers people here have tested out, and what they liked/disliked from that.

I've looked at:
    Callwave - nice - can call in to retrieve new messages, check online, or listen from email attachments
    Simulsays - just found out about it - they have an app for the BB to manage the new messages, but haven't got any yet so haven't tested it
    Youmail - Can record personal greetings based on callers ID, can also "ditch" a caller
    GrandCentral - didn't try it out at all - but also has a BB app to play your new voicemails
    Gotvoice - looks more limited than the above based on their website details

Right now I use callwave, but think I am going to switch to simulsays because it has that BB application (until BIS 2.3 comes out and allows mp3 attachments). I'm sure there are many more, so chime in.
    Last edited by cliffr39; 05-09-2007 at 04:45 PM.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: 3rd party internet voicemail services...what have you use?

Ive used none of them, but they look cool.

nik0 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Just tried SimulSays, it's pretty neat.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by nik0
    Just tried SimulSays, it's pretty neat.
    yeah it is very cool... but the program they offer for your BB drains the battery a bit too quickly
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

abaqueen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PMme4it

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i have been using Grand Central for about 2 weeks. Gives you your own number, you can even use it to place a call reflecting the Grand Central # as your caller I'd.I also like that when a call comes into your GC# you can listen as the caller leaves you VM and pick up as they do if you choose. Oh and you can record calls even after talking just by hitting 4, records both directions.

j llama no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME

Grand central just got bought by GOOGLE

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T

sounds cool but... what do these offer over my carrier's voice mail?

tj2311111 Guest

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

So my question is, which is the best one? Lol. I haven't used any of these only my carriers voice mail service.

jimbo831 no está en línea Stack level 1

I've only used SimulSays, but I love it. It offers one major advantage over your carrier. It will send a wav file of your voicemail to it's program that is always running on your phone. The program will show all your voicemails, who it was left by, etc. You can click on it and listen to the message, without dialing and you can listen to voicemails in any order, and skip those you don't want to listen to. Also, for an extra charge if you're interested, you can have it transcribe all your voicemails as well and email them to your Blackberry. Not for me, but I'm sure great for people like lawyers in court, or business people in meetings, who can't listen to a message. Instead you can simply read the email that it made. I've read the transcirption service works quite well. Definately a lot of plusses over carrier emails. Pretty much does exactly what the much touted visual voicemail or the Iphone does.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

I don't get a lot of voicemails, and generally I can see who called on my call log. I have signed up for GrandCentral, have my number, played with a little.
    You can play different grettings for different people and it will call multiple numbers, such as my home and BB.
    But GC the person calls a different number than your BB number to reach you and the voicemail goes into thier system which you can access using a website and your browser.

SimulSays requires you to forward your voicemails to thier number where the person leaves the message. I checked it out, but don't get a lot of voicemails.

I actually started using GC because it offers other benifits.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

PIN/ID
    A5KME41T

Quote Originally Posted by melissaox
    I actually started using GC because it offers other benifits.
    care to describe those other benefits?

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

I have used Callwave for over 2 years. It is great as it is free, has the ability to do call back screening (at least it did this for free when I signed up, but may be a premium service now where the system calls you while the person is leaving their meassage and you can screen to see if you want to answer, in which case it connects the call. I have never personally used it due to the extra minutes that it burns and my overall lack of importance in needing this function), and recently started the transcription where it sends a transcript to your e-mail along with the .wav file. I have it for both me and the wife and we love it as it e-mails the voicemail transcript to our devices along with the .wav so we can decide what we are further interested in listening to (if the transcript is somewhat garbled). I would recommend it as I have a been a user for 2 years and have hjad no problems what so ever. One caveat the transcription service is still in beta so it can sometimes read like a converstion art your local quickie mart..."Thank you, come again', but hey who is complaining when the service is free.

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

GrandCentral requires that you use their 'new' number, instead of just replacing your voice mail. So while I signed up a LONG TIME ago, I have little use for changing my number of 9 years. I didn't realize they had a custom BB app, that must be recent since I didn't see it before on their site.

I use SimulSays and I love their custom application. It's free (for now while in Beta). But since their transcribing service is $10/month, which I also signed up to and hooks into their custom BB app too.

Implex no está en línea Stack level 2

used neither..
    never felt the need

PIN/ID
    A5KME41T

Quote Originally Posted by squeakr
    I have used Callwave for over 2 years. It is great as it is free, has the ability to do call back screening (at least it did this for free when I signed up, but may be a premium service now where the system calls you while the person is leaving their meassage and you can screen to see if you want to answer, in which case it connects the call. I have never personally used it due to the extra minutes that it burns and my overall lack of importance in needing this function), and recently started the transcription where it sends a transcript to your e-mail along with the .wav file. I have it for both me and the wife and we love it as it e-mails the voicemail transcript to our devices along with the .wav so we can decide what we are further interested in listening to (if the transcript is somewhat garbled). I would recommend it as I have a been a user for 2 years and have hjad no problems what so ever. One caveat the transcription service is still in beta so it can sometimes read like a converstion art your local quickie mart..."Thank you, come again', but hey who is complaining when the service is free.
    just curious.. how secure is this transcription service? is this done via speech recognition software or by a human being? if it's the latter, i'm not quite sure i'd like that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast