I have a Pearl, and I don't subscribe to BIS or BES. I installed OperaMini ... 3rd Party BlackBerry Software forum

Dr_Reboot no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs down 3rd Party Browser

Advertisement

I have a Pearl, and I don't subscribe to BIS or BES. I installed OperaMini and I can browse web pages fine. But if I try to do an OTA install by pasting a url in Opera, it eventually wants to call up the default browser, which hasn't been configured with RIM. It's like this: When it gets to the step to download the OTA file and warns that the browser (OperaMini) will have to exit to download the file, and I allow it. Upon calling up BB's default browser [I'm pretty sure that's what's happening], it states "Your device does not currently have any Browser Configuration Service Book Entries". Of course, I've attempted to request Service Book Entries through an account on BIS's site that I set up without actually signing up for their service. Of course, there are no Service Book entries on the Pearl, and I've requested some Host Routing Tables via the Pearl's setup, just in case, since there aren't any in the Pearl. I'm pretty sure this is all due to not subscribing to BIS or BES. Since the default browser is probably the BB's built-in browser, my current objective is to find out if I can change the default to a 3rd party browser such as OperaMini. I can't find that setting anywhere on the device. Does anyone know if it's possible to do that? Of course, I can't use the built-in email either, but can use Opera to check email via webmail on Yahoo. Any suggestions or work-arounds? Or am I SOL without a BIS or BES subscription...

Oh, and btw- I don't even have a browser icon nor an email icon in Apps. Probably b/c I don't have BIS or BES, I guess.
    Pearl, 2GB mSD

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: 3rd Party Browser

I don't think you can use any other 3rd party browser to replace the built in one since you would have to rewrite the whole OS so if I was you I would simply consider taking a data plan and it would be easier and you would be surprise by all you can do with the BB and a data plan

PS: I understand you could find it expensive but just look up the price in Canada and you'll be glad to be in USA
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

Thanks. I was afraid you'd say that. I was pretty sure my assessment was correct... I guess I'm hoping for someone to suggest something different to try, but pretty much know I'm in denial.
    Good suggestion about getting a BIS plan though.
    Pearl, 2GB mSD

Hey, let me make sure I understand this correctly:

1) Since I use the Pearl only for personal use and not for work, I need BIS rather than BES.
    2) In addition, I still have to have a data plan through my carrier (Cingular).
    Pearl, 2GB mSD

PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Reboot
    Hey, let me make sure I understand this correctly:

1) Since I use the Pearl only for personal use and not for work, I need BIS rather than BES.
    Yes, BIS means Blackberry internet service which is for POP3 account and BES is Blackberry enterprise server.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Reboot
    2) In addition, I still have to have a data plan through my carrier (Cingular).
    Yes, and it has to be a BB data plan 'cause BB have to get through RIM server in order to work properly

Hope this helps
    Sn1p3r

Ok, thanks. I currently have a $10 Media plan w/ Cingular. I would hope it would be dropped and replaced with the $30 BB plan. btw- I saw on MobileWeb4U.com and if I'm understanding correctly, BES is only $20/mo. But I don't know that BES would work for me, since I don't need to an Enterprise Server.
    Pearl, 2GB mSD

PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Sometimes BES is cheaper but you have to get the server owrk on your computer and even buy the server so it doesn't worth it really
    Sn1p3r

Ok, thanks for the info!
    Pearl, 2GB mSD