• And The Best Android Apps...

There are a few good ones to try out...

Richard Devine - Tube Map (Free)

Nothing particularly groundbreaking from me this week, but what this is, is about the best London Underground navigation experience I could hope for.
    It's a really simple interface but is absolutely jam packed with features. Route planning is a given, but Tube Map hooks into the TFL services too. Live departure boards , line status, and access to national rail live information adds enough to make this more than just a way to find you way around.
    Another nice feature is the ability to log in with your Oyster card information, allowing you to check your balance wherever in the Capital you are. It's free and ad supported, but if you like it there is a pro version available too. For someone like me who doesn't live in London, but spends enough time there covering things for AC, an app like this is priceless. [Google Play Link]

Chris Parsons - Grabatron (Free for a limited time)

You know those "claw" games at the arcade when you can drop the claw and win prizes? It's like those, only you are a spaceship that can grab cars, vehicles, trailers and drop them on humans as you attempt to collect your alien friends all while trying to avoid being shot down. It's awesome. It's tilt controlled. It's free as part of the "Because we May" project, just grab it and enjoy! See what I did there? [Google Play Link]

Sean Brunett - Kayak Flight Hotel Car Search (Free)

Are you planning a trip right now or anytime in the future? If you answered yes, you’ll want to check out what I consider one of the best trip planners both on the web and on Android, Kayak. It’s essentially a search engine that aggregates a variety of companies in a simple and elegant interface. With the Android app, you can search and compare hotel, flight and car prices and book them directly from the app. I’ve tried many travel apps that allow you to search, yet don’t let you book right from the app. You can also track the status of your flight, see up-to-date baggage fees and look up airport info. It’s a very well done app and I highly recommend it if you want to book a trip. [Google Play Link]

Alex Dobie - Power Controls (Free)

Imagine my surprise when my shiny new Galaxy S III didn't come with a proper settings widget. Sure, some options are accessible directly via the notification pulldown, but that's not customizable, and it's still missing some options. My solution of choice is the third party Power Controls app and widget by Painless Death. This allows you to create a customized widget (or widgets) to control all manner of settings, including the usual Wifi, screen brightness and Bluetooth options, as well as toggles for more exotic options like WiMax and tethering. It's a simple, clean and well-designed widget with plenty of customization options, and what's more, it's offered completely free with no ads. If you want a little more control over your power control widget, it's definitely worth a look. [Google Play Link]

Anndrew Vacca - Best Buy (Free)

As a lover of all things tech, I enjoy the ability to buy my latest shiny device on the fly. And as a fan of clean and usable shopping applications, it's hard not to recommend Best Buy's Android app. It effectively shrinks Best Buy's massive online store into an easy-to-use, mobile friendly UI. Everything's here, including comparing items, locating the nearest store, product reviews and even the weekly ad. Even checkout, an all-to-often tedious and messy process, matches the online store's ease-of-use. Just beware-- purchasing that $2,000 HDTV is a lot more tempting when it's this simple. [Google Play Link]

There will be some more next week, as usual...

Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in