• Install, Run Ubuntu on Android

Ubuntu installer is the easiest application that helps you install Ubuntu on your Android, without hassles. All you need is a rooted Android having kernel with Loop support. (scroll to the end for list of supported ROMs / devices).

http://geeknizer.com/wp-content/uplo...stallation.jpg

Setup is very simple, the app downloaded from market includes everything you need to install Ubuntu. It endorses a customized Ubuntu 10.10 image optimized for the ARM processor.

The advantage of this Ubuntu installer over other is that it allows you to run a full Ubuntu system within android. i.e. You can still make calls, text, and use android without having to reboot your phone, no dualbooting or multibooting required.

http://geeknizer.com/wp-content/uplo...tu-android.jpg

Ubuntu Installers’ Key features:
    • Run ubuntu within Android.
    • Access to both Android & Ubuntu at same time.
    • Highly optimized for ARM devices.
    • LXDE Desktop (very lightweight)
    • Ubuntu update manager, Software centre fully operational.
    • File system access: Ability to access files on your SD card and internal memory from Ubuntu.
    • Set resolution: Ability to set screen size on boot (you no longer have to download a certain image for different screen sizes!)
    • Choose Ubuntu Installation type: ‘large‘ and ‘lightweight
    Large version includes:
    • Download size: 1.5GB, Installation size: 3.5GB.
    • UI: Gnome, LXDE
    • Lots of Apps, idealistic for development: Firefox, Thunderbird, openoffice.org suite, GIMP Image Editor, Emacs Text Editor (geared towards programming), C and C++ build-essential, Java JDK, Python, TeXlive and TeXmaker LaTeX editor, Transmission BitTorrent Client, eVince PDF Viewer, File Manager, Terminal, Image Viewer, Leafpad Text Editor, Synaptic Package Manager and Ubuntu Software Center with all repositories enabled, SSH server, Gnash.
    Lightweight image includes:
    • Download size: 500MB, Installation size: 2.5GB once.
    • Basic apps required for everything to work.
    http://geeknizer.com/wp-content/uplo...on-android.jpg

Ubuntu Installer Compatibility chart for Android phones / tablets:

Acer Iconia A500 TegraOwners ICS v96 Thor v3.9r15
    Asus Eee Pad Transformer krakd razzle dazzle
    Atrix 4G Cyanogenmod faux123′s kernel
    Archos 101 Internet Tablet UrukDroid UrukDroid
    Dell Streak Mini 5 DSC DSC
    Galaxy Player 4.0 Stock 2.3.5 Stock
    HTC Desire Ginger Villain 3.3 Ginger Villain 3.3
    HTC Desire HD Icy-smoke RCMIX3D-V11.1
    HTC Desire S Most Roms Any other than stock
    HTC Droid Incredible 2 Sabotage Sense v1.2 drelisdees #21
    HTC EVO 3D Stoc Stock
    HTC Flyer WiFi 16GB LeeDroid honeycomb LeeDroid honeycomb
    HTC Glacier Absolution tdj darkside 12 cm
    HTC inspire 4g Cyanogenmod 7 Cyanogenmod 7
    HTC Thunderbolt Liquid Gingerbread v 3.2 Liquid Gingerbread v 3.2
    Kindle Fire Stock Stock
    Samsung Captivate Cyanogenmod 7 Cyanogenmod 7
    Samsung Galaxy Note (GT-N7000) Stock 2.3.5 Stock
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus AOKP build 21 Franco kernel #15
    Samsung Nexus S Cyanogenmod 7 Cyanogenmod 7
    Samsung Vibrant ICS ICS
    Motorola Photon 4G Jokercomplete V1 MoPhoACTV Initiative
    Transformer Prime Stock Stock
    Xperia Neo NEO SE.TWEAKED Inteks Kernel Clean OC

Download Ubuntu Installer from AndroidMarket.

lak611 likes this.
    Comments 13 Comments
      That is cool!
      That's Android...
      I'm actually interested in the Spark tablet, which will run Linux natively but will be capable of running Android apps.
      I've been toying with this. Since I know squat about Linux I've held off. One day ill get a distro for my crap PC and learn it....
      Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
      I've been toying with this. Since I know squat about Linux I've held off. One day ill get a distro for my crap PC and learn it....
      For a desktop PC, I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu. The Unity desktop is better suited for tablets/touchscreen devices.

Which distro is best for your PC depends on how lightweight it needs to be based on your hardware. I could help you with that if I know what hardware you have.
      May take you up on that some day.
      Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
      For a desktop PC, I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu. The Unity desktop is better suited for tablets/touchscreen devices.

Which distro is best for your PC depends on how lightweight it needs to be based on your hardware. I could help you with that if I know what hardware you have.
      I had run Ubuntu on an older desktop that had slowed down considerably with Windows, and it was like night and day - just like getting a new computer. I imagine on a new desktop running Windows 7 it may not be that significant of a change, but if you're interested in resurrecting an older machine Ubuntu certainly is the ticket.
      I'm going to get a copy and try it soon.
      Little intimidated. Ill get over it though
      This is cool but I just don't see the advantage over what Android with some tweaking can already do?

Anyone have a idea why one would want this other than the cool factor?
      Because we CAN. Just like running windows on an Eco 3D. The same reason a lot of inventive ideas are formed and new innovative things are born.

Because we CAN.
      Same reason cars can do 150mph + when there's little practical reason.
      Same reason we do all sorts of seemingly foolish things, to test, to learn, to do something that maybe seems crazy for the simple reason it CAN be done.

This maybe small, perhaps insignificant. So many small insignificant things have evolved into ideas and spurred folks to think even grander. Others have just existed to be done. A benchmark, a point of pride.

I don't care why, maybe not even how. May never matter, may one day be the foundation of some kid in a garage building something no one has ever seen or thought of. May just be a dream that matures into something grand.

We may not see what or why, but bet your *** someone just may.

Come to think of it....that sounds a tad familiar.....
      ^^^
      This!

Linux geeks like to play with stuff "just because".
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
      I had run Ubuntu on an older desktop that had slowed down considerably with Windows, and it was like night and day - just like getting a new computer. I imagine on a new desktop running Windows 7 it may not be that significant of a change, but if you're interested in resurrecting an older machine Ubuntu certainly is the ticket.
      There are quite a few other distros that are much more lightweight than Ubuntu. How old the hardware is will make all the difference.
      Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
      Because we CAN. Just like running windows on an Eco 3D. The same reason a lot of inventive ideas are formed and new innovative things are born.

Because we CAN.
      Same reason cars can do 150mph + when there's little practical reason.
      Same reason we do all sorts of seemingly foolish things, to test, to learn, to do something that maybe seems crazy for the simple reason it CAN be done.

This maybe small, perhaps insignificant. So many small insignificant things have evolved into ideas and spurred folks to think even grander. Others have just existed to be done. A benchmark, a point of pride.

I don't care why, maybe not even how. May never matter, may one day be the foundation of some kid in a garage building something no one has ever seen or thought of. May just be a dream that matures into something grand.

We may not see what or why, but bet your *** someone just may.

Come to think of it....that sounds a tad familiar.....
      To sum that up. Just like I said. Because its cool.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
      ^^^
      This!

Linux geeks like to play with stuff "just because".
      I find that most Linux users have the time to test and play.
    Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in